TRON: Legacy, revisited

Quiet_Hollow

Do you eally enjoy watching this blu-ray movie on your system? Like it loud? Does it ever sound like your system is going to blow a gasket with this movie set anywhere approaching reference level?

Try it out next time using the 2.0 Dolby Digital soundtrack instead to hear what the movie is really supposed to sound like. [;)]

The DTS-HD soundtrack is clipped to high heaven in most of the major action sequences. [:o]

Do you eally enjoy watching this blu-ray movie on your system? Like it loud? Does it ever sound like your system is going to blow a gasket with this movie set anywhere approaching reference level?

Try it out next time using the 2.0 Dolby Digital soundtrack instead to hear what the movie is really supposed to sound like. Wink

The DTS-HD soundtrack is clipped to high heaven in most of the major action sequences. Surprise

YES! i need to re-visit. I noticed during some of the games sequences that when people explode into bits that the breaking glass sound is severely limited. Sheepishly, I never thought to switch over to the 2.0 track. :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nabbed a copy of Top Gun the other day. [Y]

This Blu-ray has both DTS and Dolby HD audio formats. While watching this movie, I recalled my experience with TRON Legacy, so I started with the Dolby track at -0 dB REF and then happened to A/B the two audio tracks mid-movie.

Judas priest, the DTS sounded like absolute garbage in comparison to the Dolby track!! [:S] Painfully bloated and distorted in comparison. Sure my subwoofer was feverishly digging itself a hole to China, but what was coming out of the mains had me instantly diving for the remote again.

So, what gives at DTS lately? Did they not get the memo regarding the loudness wars of the last decade? I'm starting to pick up a trend here. [:^)]

QHollow, I must not be listening as critically as you because I take for granted that the Master DTS is the best but now I have my doubts after reading your post. I'm also one of those Guys who like to listen at horrific volumes at least for brief periods. I guess i'll have to open my ears and turn on my brain once in a while.

Regarding the thread, I'm befuddled that no one finds this soundtrack as watchable as I do. I have seen it more than maybe any other movie because I find the audio so

compelling, complex, and interesting. Shake

Try it on for size. Start with the DTS Master soundtrack. Put the volume at what you think is a nice spirited level. Start the movie and listen for a while, then about half way through the "games" sequence, where they're firing their disks at each other, pause it, go into the pop-up menu and switch the audio over to the Dolby 2.0 track. Increase the volume +6 dB and then resume playing the movie.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

• 3 months later...

I have been trying for MONTHS to replicate your findings, but both tracks continued to be unimpressive. I've been watching the light cycle battle and just because I saw it so many times I know I've been missing that distinct crinkling glass noise when guys would bite the dust. It just wasn't there. I was diving deep into my Denon settings tonight and noticed a feature called Cinema EQ, whose function is described as "Soften the treble range of movie soundtracks for better understanding". Apparently it also means "crush the critical sound effects of movies without any discrimination."

i turned that off and suddenly the crinkle glass is there! It's too late for me to switch between tracks at appropriate levels, but I will be doing so very soon and hopefully will be able to replicate your findings.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying for MONTHS to replicate your findings,

My apologies for not checking back here sooner. [:$]

i turned that off and suddenly the crinkle glass is there! It's too late for me to switch between tracks at appropriate levels, but I will be doing so very soon and hopefully will be able to replicate your findings.

That feature would definitely change things! [:D] How'd it end up sounding? What's your take?