Bi-Wiring for the ALK crossover network

Hi Crossover

A lot of people have requested Bi-Wiring for my crossover network so I have

made the modifications necessary to do that. All the networks I make from

now on will have this new feature. The design is unchanged otherwise. The

new version (5) has been posted for download on my web site for anyone

interested. The connections for bi-wiring are made by removing to straps

that allow normal single (2 wire) cable connection to the amp.

biwire.jpg

Al K.

Al or anyone,

Looks like your setup uses 10 ga monster wire for the lows and a smaller guage for the hi's. I too have the monster wire to my stock AA x-overs. I have a three speaker setup that uses alot of wire. Was thinking of running the same lenght of a smaller guage wire with my monster already in to the new ALK crossovers. Would save alot of $$$$ vs getting new biwire cable. What guage should the smaller wire be? Does it need to be any special ratio from the thicker stuff? Here's a really dumb question...since both are connected to the same point on the amp, so presumably the same signal comes out both wires on the other end, why not run 8 or 6 guage and split it on the crossover end?

Fred,

OOPS! Please do NOT imply from the picture I posted showing the Bi-Wire connections that I am promoting big wire for one and small wire for the other!!! The two different cables in the picture are to illustrate where the high and low cables are to be connected when the shorting straps are removed. They are just markers!

I have no advice about what kind of cable to use. That decision is one that you will have to make for yourself! I invite discussion here about that very question. I have never tried Bi-Wiring myself!

Anybody have any thoughts about it?

Al K.