Tips for refinishing speakers

Dandoyen

I've got KLF-30s and a C-7 enroute...all satin black. I'd like to refinish them to cherry (to match the desk in the room), and then keep the grills off...think that'd look sharp. Any helpful tips or suggestions on how to accomplish this? Any reason I shouldn't undertake this project?

If they were mine, I wouldn't do anything to them for now. Listen to them for a while and go from there.

IMHO, refinishing speakers only when you have to, to repair the damages. I would not refinish them just for the color. Not to mention, the lower re-sale value if the speakers aren't original

These are just my personal opinions.

ah, should have clarified. I've had the 30s for 6 years...just purchased the C7. No intentions to sell so re-sale value not really a consideration, this is just for my office upstairs. Already tinkered with them, swapped out to the ti diaphragms. Gonna do xovers next, figured i'd refinish while I had them apart.

Dandy,

Groomlake51 (Hope I have that right) has some great threads on refinishing. Try an advanced search using "refinish" or Veneer" and it should reveal some of them, or search through his threads by pulling up his screen name and then search for "refinish" or "veneer".

Hope this helps as he has done some very detailed threads on the subject.

W. C.

Veneering is really pretty easy, would be easier than refinishing if there are no complex shapes involved. You can by rolls of cherry veneer at places like Menards that is easy to work with. If you are particular about getting the 'right grain', then shop at woodworker or cabinet maker supply places. Cherry veneer with a few coats of shellac would look quite nice and rich.