outdoor hookups

eddieras

i have a denon 2802 with a klipsch line for surround sound. we're putting on a new addition with a deck and i want to run speaker wires out to the new addition AND to the deck, with outdoor speakers. i know my denon has an A/B switch, but is there a way to have 3 temination points? ie my current theatre, my addition, and my deck?

You could just get yourself a speaker switcher such as those described here.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Niles Audio also makes selectors with impedance protection.

An alternative is to buy (as I did) individual speaker volume controls from Niles, Paradigm, et al. Not sure what the pros would say, but I see 3 advantages with individual controls: cost (6 individual controls at about $40 per = $240 vs. one pre-made box with 6 controls = about $400); number of speakers (almost unlimited pairs with individual controls vs. 6 in pre-made box); accessability (individual controls in the room/space where the speaker is vs. one panel of controls located with the rest of your gear).

The key (I think) is to buy a box or individual controls that provide impedance protection--cheap Radio Shack or other simple volume controls don't do this.

------------------

Michael Stano

KG 3.2s front & rear

KV-3 center

SW-10

Mitsubishi DD 8020

Mitsubishi HS-U70

Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sorry for the confusion.

You can't safely run more than 2 pairs of speakers off a normal amp/receiver (i.e., 1 pair on A, 1 pair on B). To put additional pairs on A or B will reduce the impedance and harm the amp. Niles, Paradigm, etc. make devices that let you run multiple pairs of speakers on A or B without damaging the amp. through some sort of impedance booster. I really don't know the technicalities of this, but I know one shouldn't add speakers without a special hook up.

The "special hook up" can be a box from Niles which puts 6 speaker pair connections together with either a simple speaker on/speaker off switch, or with a volume control for each speaker. The box goes in the rack with the other AV gear. Alternately, one can buy from Niles or Paradigm (Paradigm copied the Niles design and is cheaper) a single switch that is the size and shape of a wall light switch. That switch can be placed in the wall near the speaker so volume can be controlled in the room where the speaker is rather than running back and forth to where the amp./other gear is. Wires run from each switch to the amp. where they are joined onto a pig tail (or with terminal blocks) and wired into the B speaker output.

In addition to my surround system (which use the A output for mains), I have 6 pairs of speakers with individual Paradigm controls all wired into the B output on the amp. The Paradigm units have an internal switch which allows you to add many, many pairs of speakers without lowering the impedance.

My point was that the single units are cheaper and otherwise advantageous.

Hope this helps. Check the Niles or Paradigm site for more info. and downloadable instructions.

------------------

Michael Stano

KG 3.2s front & rear

KV-3 center

SW-10

Mitsubishi DD 8020

Mitsubishi HS-U70

Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

Yamaha HTR-5250

thanks michael-= that clears it up for me..

so a regular speaker a/b switch will harm the amp? i wasn't aware of that- thanks! what if i only run one of the pairs of speakers at a time (off the a/b) is this still a problem?

i've tried searchinng on the web for the paradigm selector with no luck. any idea where i could find it?

thanks again!

I don't believe running 1 pair of speakers at a time off the a/b switch is going to create a problem, especially if you aren't also using the Denon for HT at the same time (speakers "A").

In my setup, I ran the pre-amp outs of my Denon into an old NAD receiver I have and I use that to drive 6 pairs of speakers throughout the house, using an impedance matching switchbox like michaelstano describes. Works great! And I don't have to worry about the affect on my Denon of having two pairs of speakers hooked to the same amp.

Doug

------------------

My System

I have a Denon 3801. I use the MultiRoom function to drive my outdoor speakers. Not sure if yours has this feature. If it does you will need to buy an integrated amp or another reciever. But you will be able to play one source inside and a different source outside or the same source both in and out. This is really cool and the way to go. Especially for parties and get togethers. You can have the volume a bit lower in the house and up more outside. Just a thought.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

I keep my Denon reciever that drives the outdoor speakers in with all of my other equipment in the house. I ran the wiring from inside the house up into the attic and out. This goes into an outdoor utility box with speaker hookup. I placed this box under over hang of the roof. I connect my speakers to this box.

By doing this it can pour rain all day long and never bother the electronics or wiring.

Good luck!

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

Scooter--Doug

Thanks!

Also have the spkr wire run to the outside and into a junction type box then to another one ;with bnana plug connector plates in same. It's a weather proof box with a door that flips up to expose the jacks--planning to uses banana's to run each speaker to the box---but to plug in to the plate---the "door" would need to stay "flipped up"----and moisture would surely get in---it seems----is there a better set up or box to use???

Tks Dave

There are "dry in use" cover plates for outdoor electrical outlets that might be able to be used here. They are essentially plastic "bubbles" that are hinged at the top, which jut out to permit a plug to be in the outlet and still have the "bubble" closed. There is a notch in the bottom of the bubble to permit the cord to exit.

Perhaps this type of cover plate could be mounted on the junction box into which you are running your speaker wire. They are available at any home improvement center.

Doug

------------------

My System