RF-3II vs. RB-5II

I have a few questions.

1. Why do the Klipsch RF-3II and the RB-5II cost the same? It looks to me like the RF-3II would kill the RB-5II. I dont really have room though for the RF-3II so I was thinking about the RB-5II for my two front speakers but I don't want to buy one pair of speakers knowing I could have got a better pair for the same price.

2. What is a better choice for subs: KSW-15 or the RSW-10?

3. Will Klipsch speakers work well with the Sony ES STR-DA5ES which puts out 110 watts X 6 channels? Can someone give me an idea as to how loud Klipsch speakers will play with this reciever?

I own a set of rf3II's. The main difference is that the rb5II's have a single 8 ohm woofer ( instead of the rf3II's 2 4 ohm woofers in series to make 8 ohms ) and the fact that the rb5II's can be had in a real wood finish. Sound very similar , but the rf3II's will have more output potential.

• rf 3II's 1 watt = 98 db , 2 watts = 101 db , 4 watts = 104 db , 8 watts = 107 db , 16 watts = 110 db , 32 watts = 113 db , 64 watts = 116 db , 128 watts = 119 db , 256 watts = 121 db

Can't comment on the subs because I don't have either but I would probably go with the ksw15 for the best bang for the buck ratio. Your receiver at 110 watts/ch at full output should drive those rf3II's to an ear bleeding 117 - 118 db with no trouble - unless you have a real big room. In a smaller room, my marantz sr 4200 at 65w/ch is way too much. If anyone tells you that 119 db is not loud either needs hearing aids of need their head examined. I would definately use ear protection at these levels.

Actually the RB5 would cost more if you buy some high value stands.

The cabinet is nicer and you do not get limitation of not being able to try different "anchoring tweaks" to reeduce vibration with the RB 5.

Someone once mentioned it may have a different crossover to a great degree.

Not really into HT receivers(prefer separates) but if you have not purchased the Sony check out the Outlaw.

Best $ 500 receiver bar none and better than most at twice the price.

1. Same drivers, the tower will sound better to most people, however the bookshelf is offered in three nicer finishes. And it's smaller, of course.

2. Neither. If you're in the U.S., get an SVS or HSU, if you're in Canada get a Paradigm PW-2200 or two. Klipsch doesn't offer the best boom for the buck in subwoofing. The KSW subs are good for techno and rap, but not much else, the RSW are way overpriced but good performers.

3. They will work very nicely with this very good piece of equipment that is the Sony ES receiver. HOWEVER, if you haven't bought the sony yet, check out other brands, you could get better bang for the buck, unless there is something I don't know about your situation, which is very possible. Outlaw has been mentioned, if not you could check out some of last year's Denon or Marantz models, as well as Harman/Kardon.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection