Which amps best match Klipsch?

Boychu

I'm looking for an integrated amplifier which matches a pair of Klipsch KG 3.5 I had used a Yamaha A2070 with the speakers for AV. But now I tend to listen to music most of the time, and thus need an amp for this purpose. Someone recommends Audio Analogue Puccini, others say Musical Fidelity, Krell.. Could anyone share his experience?

Boychu - Welcome to the forum!

I have used the Krell KAV300I with Klipsch speakers and I can only say - DON'T! That combination sounds extremely bright and sets my teeth on edge. All the salesmen in the store agreed on this. The Krell isn't a bad amp - it's just something about the combination. But feel free to try it, if you can return the Krell.

Our favorite amp to go with Klipsch was anything from Conrad-Johnson (they do have one integrated). Not only for the quality of the sound, which was superb. Folks who thought Klipsch speakers couldn't image had to change their tune after they heard them on a C-J.

But we sold Klipsch with Yamaha all day every day - not such a bad combination. So take your time, try different things and believe your own ears

Enjoy!

Mark

Thanks for your advice, Mark. It's really useful. I'm new to HiFi. Many people told me Klipsch horn speakers are good for home theater, not for listening to music.

But I don't want to give up my pair of Klipsch just because I've now spent a higher proportion of my time in music listening. I'm keen on finding an amplifier that can really levearge on Klipsch's strengths for the purpose of music listening. I'm sure many of you have had that kind of experience before, or intend to have a similar change. Just hope you guys could share yours...

Boychu,

Welcome to the HiFi Obsession! Stay around here too long and you'll be playing vinyl and burning tubes. You'll find a great group of people around here! :D

Many folks here tent to enjoy tube amps if your looking for music reproduction. IMHO, tubes tend to smooth out some of the harshness of the horns. I can then leave SS for my theater needs. Not that Klipsch sound bad with SS, not at all. From my experience, they sound wonderful in every respect no matter what I have powered them with. However, Klipsch are very sensitive speakers and with the great efficiency, they tend to mate well with many of the low power tube amps. As many before me have said, Horns and Tubes are a match made in heaven!

Good Hunting!

------------------

Barista T. Bill

---------------

Vintage Sony PS-T3 TT w/ Shure M97xE (Rega P2 & Grado Gold in wishbook)

Sony 333ES For PreAmp (Building custom PreAmp W/ +-.2db RIAA Phono Stage)

Sound Valves VTA-70i w/ Electo Harmonix EL-34 Tubes

Klipch RF-5

This is very much one of those "your milage may vary", "personal preference" kind of questions. You'll truly be able to reach audio heaven if your local audio retailer allows you to take equipment home to audition. If not, than maybe taking you're KG 3.5's into the dealer's showroom is not out of the question.

I'm not a "tube-o-phile", but I must second the suggestion of Marantz as an option for SS gear. Marantz has some nice integrateds, and some of the vintage gear is worth the price (not ANY price, mind you). classicaudio.com sells vintage gear that they refurbish and provide a limited warranty on. Newer Marantz gear still retains much of the vintage sound, if not the build quality, that set the vintage gear apart.

By the way, I've got an old Yamaha CR-810 intergrated amp that sounds pretty nice connected to RB-5's. Its 65 WPC, but Klipsch speakers can do alot with 65 watts.

Good luck in your search.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Hong Kong kicks ***! 2 IFC rocks!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Boychu,

your question about "which amp sounds best with Klipsch speakers?" is a very hard one to answer. Here is why:

First of all, you have the KG 3.5 model speakers, and what may sound great through them may NOT sound great through, say, a pair of Klipschorns. BUT, whatever sounds great pushing a pair of Klipschorns SHOULD sound great pushing a pair of KG 3.5's. This is definitely something to consider when making your amp purchase, ESPECIALLY if you intend to use this amp later on to power other models of Klipsch speakers!!

BUT...there is alot more to how your speakers will sound when you change your amplifier than just the amplifier itself!! Other things to consider are the preamp and the sources of sound that GO TO the preamp!! In other words, the best sounding amp for ALL Klipsch speakers is only as good as the SIGNAL SENT TO IT!!

So...you can see why asking for advice on "the best amp" is really a bit ridiculous, since there is MUCH MORE to consider than just the amplifier section of your system in providing the best results for use of Klipsch speakers!!

The FINAL tally of what you are looking for in an amp rests on what YOU HEAR, and nothing else, though!! If it sounds "right" to YOU, than nobody else's opinion really matters, does it?

So, let your ears be the judge!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I heard a ugly Fisher tube receiver for $40 sound much better on some big old Klipsch Khorns than a monster Citation SS amp (at Atma-sphere Music in MN) years ago. I recently heard the mighty Pass X250 on my big old Cornwalls. Then I listened to the small but solid ASL Wave 8s on my horns. The Wave 8s rock! They love drums and piano. They have snap and pop. No they are not as refined or smooth as the incredible Pass amp, but they cost 1/100th of price for the X250 also! For a mere $99 per channel, they instantly give you all of the qualities that tubes are known for. If you have super-efficient speakers (95 dB/w/m), you really should audition tube equipment on them.

Since I like the sound that horns make when powered by tubes, I would look at the small crop of low cost tube integrated amps, for which ASL and Jolida come to mind. Check out the Antique Sound Lab MG-SI15DT Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier at:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/antique-sound-lab-15dt-tube-amp-1-2001.html.

The editor said, "But, view it this way. The 15DT is an entry level tube product, at an entry-level price, but is Class A and single-ended, which are two characteristics that tubophiles love. It's a bargain."

Otherwise, I would look at Jolida tube integrated amps for use with your super efficient horns: Use Audioreview.com to check out the Jolida reviews. Find the amps at the Jolida site and http://www.newtube.com/jolida.html.

Your system will sound so sweet and engaging that you will enjoy it for years. Like someone said on another post, you listen to the music, not the sound.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!