AL Scalaas

A while back I got my first glimpse of Klipsch speakers. The ones that caught my eye were the La Scalas. I have read many post about the size of the sound stage you get and the presence that they have. Unfourtanely I didn't have money to buy a pair and most of them on ebay at the time looked pretty rough. A little more searching and I found the plans. So then I started to build a pair. I had some JBL drivers available. So I decided to try the JBL's first to see how they sounded. The bass cabs have JBL 2226's in them. The tops which are still unfinished were a toss up between some Altec 511B's with JBL 2245h and JBL 2447h with 2352 horns. I know this is not the original design but as the post is labeled AL Scalas this is what I came up with. Truthfully I never found the top end of the La Scalas to be what really stood out. It's the bass bins. These have incredible punch and clarity. After building them they left me looking for a little more bottom end bass and I found the bass mod on this site. I used the 7" port length as it seemed to be the best choice all around. WOW!! These speakers are now amazing.With the JBL 15's in them and about 475 watts a channel from the Crown amp they are possibly the best club/DJ speakers in town. I know not may people on Klipsch Community are really in to this kind of thing but the sound quality is also fantastic. Currently I have them biamped with 2 crown amplifiers and a Behringer DCX 2496 crossover. The bins are crossed 12db at 1200hz and the horns at 15db 1500hz.Yes the crown amplifiers hiss when there is no signal. Sound great otherwise. Finaly decided to go with the JBL 2447's for the tops now just need time to finish em up.

9k=

post-55668-13819739902044_thumb.jpg

post-55668-1381977056191_thumb.jpg

post-55668-13819797711524_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard! I'm sure it's still a work in progress, but congrats on the build. I am pretty sure you will have a hole in the upper bass if you are crossing the LS cabs at 1200 Hz. Klipsch crosses them at 400 and I've never known anyone to cross higher than 600. Do you have any way to test the response?

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to check it again. I did get in a DEQ2496 that has RTA and a mic to do some testing. Truthfully I found the crossover points originaly by ear and several hours of listening and I believe some one else on here recommended them as a starting point. As far as any holes in the sound the only one that I can detect is above 15khz where there just isn't any output above this. I don't miss sound above this and my ears are somewhat sensitive to it so if it had substantial output in this region I would cut it anyway.

post-55668-13819740475068_thumb.jpg

post-55668-13819771123176_thumb.jpg

post-55668-13819798323706_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...