looking for a Cabinet painter in NYC area

Guest " "

Anyone local to NYC that can paint gun a apir of L a S c a l a cabs. I can rent a paint gun but I don't have an enclosed dust free area to do the painting

Do you have a Car Body Shop close to you?

I tried that and none of the auto paint capable places would undertake it....they all said they just do cars.

If I was painting 10 pairs I'd build a temporary ventilated paint booth, but it's only one pair.

Mike,

That's a shame...You would have thought ONE of them would have been willing to give it a shot (No Pun Intended). I guess anymore, business' are afraid to try anything that is out of the ordinary. If you try to paint them without some type of booth setup, dust is going to be the killer. I have a small one here in my shop, that I can wet down and ventilate and it does a very good job. There are just some finishes that I like to leave to the Professionals. Maybe a Furniture Shop, as they usually spray their finished products. Good Luck.......wish I had more suggestions for you....

I don't have a booth and I had to make do. If it were earlier in the year I may have tried to paint outside but just sitting out now the shell was covered in shi - ah stuff. Anyway my prime gun is 15 years old so I went to Harbor freight and got 2 new cheap HLVP guns (the purple gun - model 66222) for $70 for the pair, I wanted one and I was not sure about them but they had some reviews on one other forum I found through google and "cheap paint guns" .

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/purple-harbor-freight-hvlp-guns-sale-178459.html

I got some plastic at Lowes and set a fan in the window of the garage and went at it with some Rustoleum that I also got at Lowes and mixed upa custom color that I tried out. The new gun worked out nice and I need to wet sand and repaint again but the bottom line is I could not afford the paint (real automotive stuff that is good like PPG). I think I'll have maybe $200 into the paint job and I have learned a lot too. I also got a good mask as I thinned out the mix with 25% acetone and in a closed room I just thought it would be a good idea to spend the $30 and get a decent mask at Home Depot. The results are at the following link, The down side is that the rustoleum oil based enamel takes 4 to 6 hours to dry and 24 to be some what hard, I am waiting 3 days to wet sand and recoat. I think that this will work out just fine. check out page 9 of the topic that I have been doing since March

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/post169667.html#p169667

I'll probably paint the Peavey FH-1 with Rustoeum Satin black # 7777 when I get back to doing some speaker related work.

post-42841-13819741011184_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819771654888_thumb.jpg

post-42841-1381979887961_thumb.jpg

I'll probably paint the Peavey FH-1 with Rustoeum Satin black # 7777 when I get back to doing some speaker related work.

I really like rustoeum oil base paint. I mix it with about 15% accetone and that really does a good job of pushing the paint deep into the wood.