Nice Scott 222C

NOSValves

Was just messing around on Ebay found what looks to be the Nicest 222C I've seen with a nice wood case with BIN price of 250.00 not bad with a case.

Linkage

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 06-06-2002 at 06:24 PM

I've owned TONS of Scott gear and I think anyone intersted in getting into Scott should hold out for the 299 or 299B--they are far better than the C or D and have the same value. And I say that being a BIG fan of the 7591, especially in Fisher and McIntosh gear of the same vintage. But somehow the magic of the little 299 was lost when it was beefed up from the "B" to the "C." Plus, the 299 and 299B have THE BEST phono section of any vintage integrated amp I have ever heard--PERIOD! If you like LPs, Scott is one of the best ways to go if you're on a budget.

I never got into the Eico fray on this board but was more than a little stunned that everyone was jumping on the bandwagon. The Scott 299 kicks Eico *** all up and down the block as far as I'm concerned. Anyone out there owned both (in good condition) and REALLY think that the Eico sounds better than the EL84/7189 based Scott?

Oops! It's a 222C! I misread you and thought you said 299C! 222C is a nice little amp. Sort of a 299 on a budget--lacks some of features but the sound is VERY similar. $250 with a case is a REAL good price these days! It's better than the 299C, but still not as nice as a 299/299B.

Anyway, the rest of my post is still vaild. I hope.

*hic!* One too many Carlsberg Elephants this afternoon I guess . . .

Allan ,

I agree completely. I have the 222C and a 299 (second generation with the trannies on the rear) which I really think is a 299B. I also have a LK-72 which is basically a Kit 299C and it just can't touch my 299 or 222C. The 299 A/B do have the best and most versitile phono section of the bunch. I just seen this unit and it looks great so I thought I would bring it to everyone's attention 299's are hard to come by in that shape.

I really agree with your oppinion of the EICO's too. There not a bad amp but just not in the same class as Fisher , Scotts and of coarse Mac's.

I'm a Scottie all they way when it comes to Intergrated amps.

Craig

I, for one, prefer the EICO to Fisher and Scott integrateds although I have not heard the 299B. To my ears, it is more open, transparent, and exhibits far better soundstaging, although I know that is unimportant to many. Build and appearance-wise, ye olde Scott takes the nut. Sound wise... well, we obviously have very different tastes here. See our systems and the different directions. Still, all of these amps sound good to many.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-07-2002 at 01:25 AM