A minor rant about the Reference S4 Metal Case

chrlswtt

I am a firm believer in using whatever case is supplied with whatever portable earphones I take with me. To me it helps protect my investment. Having said that, I don't understand the logic of the metallic case. The cable on the Reference S4 is in a permanent zigzag shape. The only way I've been able to use the case is to put the earpieces in their foam cradle then carefully compress the natural folds in the cable. Once this is done, I carefully place the compressed cable in the larger foam section while still holding on tightly and then quickly shut (slam) the lid close before the cable uncompresses and springs out of the case. This is really an arduous process to go through, and pretty ridiculous, just to use the supplied metallic case. Klipsch has soft pouches that should have been supplied instead. This would also justify the $20.00 price increase of the Reference over the Image. The metal can just doesn't work and is pretty much useless.

I took a look at the problem. Maybe what I show is what Chris is doing with putting the earpieces in their foam cradle.

My lead wires don't have a zig zag - they do somwhat resist being wound flat, though. It just takes some care to wind them around three fingers. It does help to make the last winding circulate around the loop and put the connector in the little slot originally used for the ear wax removal tool (not in photo).

It seems to me that someone had a good idea to use the tin box serve as a bit of display for the extras in the clear blow mold sales case - and also storage. The storage double duty works . . . pretty well.

It is easy to say that Klipsch should have charged $20 for a case but pundits would say the units are $20 too expensive. And we do what that $20 in audio quality, don't we? Also, it would put the cost over $100 or some price point which consumers could baulk at.

Ya can't win.

WMcD

post-2552-13819799820562_thumb.jpg

Are the S4s in your post Reference? The reason I ask is that my cable is translucent (the actually wires can be seen through the covering). The cable is also very stiff and retained the zigzag shape from when it was originally packaged. I doubt it will ever straighten out. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my $20.00 comment. What I attempted to say is if Klipsch could see that the cable was going to be almost impossible to get into the tin then supply a case that requires far less effort to use. Klipsch already has a soft pouch that is listed on their site. Substitute that. Supplying something almost useless is worse than supplying nothing at all IMHO.