Mundorf Supreme Caps In An ALK Universal Network

2sick2pray

Caps make a difference, for sure. Mundorf are very good. Every change you make will be noticeable..........unless you have a tin ear[:D]. I personally always spent extra to dress my ALK networks (including eventually ESNs) with Auricaps. That was and is still my favorite brand in ALK networks, and in some tube amps I have had as well. I can hear the difference when I installed them. But it is a personal thing for each listener how much of an improvement and if worth the cash.

Al uses Sonicaps in his builds and less expensive ones in his kits.

I always thought his networks were so good that they were worthy of the best audiophile caps. A couple of times when I spoke with Al he didn't agree they made much of a difference. So everyone has their opinion.

Typically, I have found that using Auricaps did in fact open up the top end to more high resolution detail. That MAY be interpreted by some as sounding brighter. But there are so many dependencies that contribute to the sound it's purely your call about this sort of thing.

I haven't heard a Sansui in a long time but I didn't think they were preceived as a bright sounding unit.

Ultimately, I wouldn't think installing Mundorf caps is going to put your speakers into the bright category making that change all by itself. If your speaker/amp combo are on the hairy edge of bright and analytical then maybe it would.

Expect a more detailed presentation on the top end. I am guessing these caps will only be used in the squawker/tweeter filter.

Hi

Try this web site http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html. I have gone through so many caps over the years until a few years back i stumbled on Sonicaps and found the best value for the price. To me they 'sound' more natural and enable a better placement of voices/instruments across a soundstage...at least to my ears!

Cheers

Thanks again, I stumbled onto that website the other day and has some very interesting observations on the performance of caps. This is my first complete build and I did not want to skimp on the networks as I know frirst hand, they can make a huge diiference in the right setting. However that being said , I might be trying to buy cognac on a beer budget, and if I'm going to continue on this road of DIY passion, stick to the budget . The Sonicaps are in the budget , and when the time comes tweak again, and enjoy the ride. 2S2P