active crossover with 3 SS amps

2sick2pray

I have 3 SS amps that I'm considering to use with a 3 way Active XO . All amps are different makes but run well. Logic says to run all the same amps, however can I expect to do this without a PHD in Sound Eng? I will try to attach my PDF manuals for the amps if that helps with my query. If it is possible what order to choose (LF/MF/HF) Thank you in advance 2S2P.

I have 3 SS amps that I'm considering to use with a 3 way Active XO . All amps are different makes but run well. Logic says to run all the same amps, however can I expect to do this without a PHD in Sound Eng?

Here are some candidate settings for a tri-amped Belle that may help you set your active crossover. Note that the Belle's midrange horn is slightly shorter than the La Scala's midrange horn, so the delay on the tweeter vs. midrange for your La Scala will be a few microseconds greater in order to get them time-aligned.

What make of active crossover are you proposing to use?

The choice on which amp to hook to which set of drivers in your speakers isn't critical - the speakers will definitely sound much better tri-amped and time aligned. You could actually swap out the amps (twice) and listen. The only wild card in this would be setting the relative gain for each amp, but if you can afford a hand-held sound pressure meter (Radio Shack, etc.) and a tone-test CD that can play tones at chosen crossover frequencies (nominally just above and below 450 Hz and 5 KHz), then you might get within a dB or so of the correct gains even if the amps are different. It's pretty straighforward.

Thanks that is what I was hoping to hear as I'm learning quickly. I still haven't been able to post my PDF manuals. My Sansui is rated @ 130W RMS 2ch into 8 ohm/ .0028% THD / 110 SNR, and the Denon @ 70w RMS into 8ohm/ .008% THD/ 105 SNR and the Yammy @ 40w RMS into 8ohm/ .015% THD/ 100 SNR. To qualify the SNR ratings I believe they are the IHF - A network rating. Ideas on placing for LF/MF/HF? 2S2P