KP-301 and damaged X-over?

jtnfoley

I just picked up a pair of KP-301 for a relatively good price, gigged pretty hard but original.

The seller reported that one had "a disconnected wire inside" and the other worked - Turns out both have no bass at all.

The first one I pulled apart had an obvious problem - The inductor from "+LIN" was badly cold soldered ("3" in the marked up photograph attached.) I doubted it made a connection at all. Repaired that and now I'm getting some bass but not much. I could barely feel the excursion of the cone.

(Woofer tested fine at 4.6 ohms, no scratchiness moving the cone gingerly by hand.)

The crossover came out again and I've tested the resistors and caps (in-circuit... I'll do out-of-circuit testing tonight.)

The 25W200 resistor at "1" tests shorted, and the capacitor at "2" tests open (according to my cheap meter.)

I've googled for a crossover schematic to no avail - I may draw one up as an exercise. According to http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/19/1157269/KP-301complete.pdf the crossover is type "KP3.0A"

Does anyone here have a schematic, or a direction to go short of lifting a leg on all the parts and measurinig everything?

Posted Image