Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series

jsmp1225

I'm a recent college graduate looking to upgrade my home theater setup. The amount of money I'm looking to spend is probably laughable to most of you but I want to make the most of what I have. Currently I have an old JVC Pro Logic receiver (no DD or DTS) that runs at 120 watts/channel x 4. I won't even mention the speakers because they're so bad. It has been suggested to me that the first thing I should purchase is new speakers. I have looked at the Newton Series from Cambridge and they seem to be a very good deal. The ones I'm looking at are on the lower end of the spectrum ($70/each for the mains, $40/each for the surrounds, and an 8" powered sub). I currently have a Polk Audio center channel that I have been very happy with. Can anyone offer any suggestions or am I barking up the wrong tree given my limited budget?

From what I understand, Polk and Klipsch don't really march to the same drum so to speak. I would not mix a polk center with a klipsch mini system, which is whwat you will be looking for.

you can get a quintet system minus the sub on the net for pretty cheap, considering what you get. say around $400 for 5 sats. out of your budjet? ok. well some have said they got theirs for like $200 on uBid.

Since you have a polk center, even though this is a Klispch forum, I say go for a Polk system. they are both affordable and sound great. the Polk RM6000 is a full 5.1 system (sub and sats) for only $599. For the price, a great system. rm6000.jpg I debated over getting this or Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's. I had to have promedia's (it is a problem I have hehe) so I went that route. I wanted a budget system, like you.

what IS your budget? $70(?)x2 + 40(?)x2 + sub=?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

I agree with Justin's ideas(als)

If you can, try for a 10" subwoofer, going from a 8" to a 10" is a HUGE jump. A packages system like the Polk's will be great, compared to everything out there, they will rock-

Does the JVC have bass management? If it doesn't, little Polk speakers may become big fireballs.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Stay with Polk Audio,the Cambridge Newton speakers are ok speakers(heard them and was not too impressed).

While the Newston strong points are smoothness they are dare I say almost too smooth.

Plok Audio should give you a more balanced sound.Depends what you value more.Polk spealers are also better built(IMO after inspecting both).

Ken,

"going from a 8" to a 10" is a HUGE jump"

Not if you have Sunfire Wink.gif Size does not always say the whole story.In general however larger subwoofer drivers = more air moved and more air moved = more sub bass

Larger subwoofer driver cone will have to move less to produce a given SPL when compared to a smaller subwoofer driver.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Well, I am talking about going from a 1" voice coil 8" sub to a 10" woofer.

Sunfire sounds funSmile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Sniff around Ebay and see if you can find some Klipsch KSB 1.1's. They have been discontinued, and are going at pretty low prices (seen as low as $100/pair). Might even find 2.1's at a price you can fit into your budget. The specs are here:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=144

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=143

Get 4 of them (front/rear). If you can find a KSC-C1 or SC-.5 center channel on Ebay, grab it. Then you'll have a pretty well matched all-Klipsch setup!

Doug

------------------

My System