Marantz 3300 preamp

davestef

I was at a flea market this morning and a guy was selling a marantz 3300 preamp for $45. I dont know how well it functioned, but visually it looked to be in very clean and great shape. I didn't know exactly what the 3300 was for when I first saw it (I'm not sure what a pre amp is for exactly. My pioneer receiver seems to have no problem powering my Cornwalls n heresys to ridiculous volumes.) anyway I told him I would think about it and come back as I was doing some research on it on my iPhone. I couldn't really find a whole lot of info on it, but I decided I would pick it up anyway since I know marantz is a pretty good brand. However, within the five minutes I spent thinking about it someone else bought it. I'm just wondering if I missed out on a steal and I'm looking to learn what you would actually use the 3300 for.

While there are many MANY varients a "preamp" it is a device that sits in the signal chain between the source devices (I.E. turntable, tuner, CD player, tape deck, etc.) and the power amp. The most basic functions of a preamp are to provide source selection and volume control. Some also add tone controls, tape deck switching and rounting and good number of other functions depending on the preamp.

$45 for a functional Marantz 3300 is probably a fair to good price but not what I would call a steal. It was pretty nice in it's day (mid-70s) but considering it's age it would probably need a rebuild to sound it's best. Many of the 70's Marantz slide controls have either failed or become really noisy by now. That model has 4 of them. They can be made functional again with a bit of effort

Based on your post it would have added nothing to your system. You didn't miss out on anything in your situation.

If you were looking to build a nice "vintage" 2-channel music system it would have made a good starting point once made fully functional. Add a source or two, a nice power amp and some speakers and many are amazed as to just how good some of this old kit can sound.