Selling SLR's: Any advice?

kenratboy

Because of the new digital world (digital camera!), I have two FULL 35mm SLR rigs I want to unload for as much as possible.

1.) Ricoh KR-5 II

35-70mm lens (generic)

70-300mm lens (generic)

Vivitar 2800 flash

UV & polarizer for each lens

NICE Lowepro case

All the basic accesories (shutter release, cleaning stuff, etc.)

2.) Canon A-1

28mm 2.8 Canon

50mm 1.8 Canon

70-200 mm 4 Canon

Filters on all

2X tele-converter

Vivitar 283

Nice case

Both rigs are in 7-8 (of 10) condition, but work PERFECTLY, only cosmetic flaws. They have not been used much and have not been abused.

Does anyone have any idea what I should try to sell each as? I am thinking about eBay, but what should I set my reserve at? Should I try to sell them locally? I am only interested in how much money I can get for them.

ALSO:

Would anyone like to buy them?s>

I trust you guys a lot more than the people on eBay!!!

------------------------------------------------------

I know this is a audio forum, but I appreciate any advice you can give me!

Smile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Sorry, don't need film cameras. Went digital years ago.

If I were in your place, I would sell them on eBay. You can check out current and completed auctions to get an idea what they might go for. You may be disappointed at what you can get for them. But IMHO eBay generally fairly reflects the value of used cameras and lenses. Setting a reserve is simple. Just use the minimum price at which you are willing to let the gear go. Just be aware that if you set it too high, you might not get any bidders even if the gear might otherwise sell for more than the reserve.

Trust shouldn't be an issue for a seller. Just require payment in a safe form, like a U.S. postal money order and don't ship until you have cash in hand. FWIW the folks who buy and sell photographic gear seem overall to be among the more trustworthy frequenting eBay.

I would forget trying to sell locally. A camera store will almost certainly give you less than you could get on eBay. A pawn shop will give you even less. Finding another local buyer is probably more trouble than it is worth.

I might want to go to a local camera store, see what they would give me, and set that as my reserve. That way, I could always dump the gear locally if eBay didn't do well.

I know I should be able to get $150-200 (my profit) for the Canon body.

I have a digital camera and will take lots of pictures of the camera gear (any irony?) and write detailed descriptions. My biggest turn off on eBay is not haveing tons of pictures or descriptions.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!