NOS tubes vs NEW production ---

Deang

Time for meat and potatoes.

Now that I have completely exausted my bank account stocking up on NOS for my AE-25 and SF Line 1 -- what have I really gained in performance for my future tube needs?

Are the sonic differences in NOS and NEW production tubes really worlds apart? Or is it more like slicing hairs?

Is it like the debate regarding cables? Differences exist -- but so subtle as to not warrant the emptying of one's pocketbook?

I suppose I could start ripping off my cages and pulling out all of my NOS tubes and replacing them with the Russian counterparts -- but auditory memory is so short, and it would be an exhausting process that I really don't feel like involving myself in right now.

Hype and nonsense? Or the real deal?

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25/ S F Line 1/ S9000ES/ HSU x-over/ SVS CS+/ RF-7 Klipschcones®f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

Holy question overload! What is happening over there, Dean? You have gone hog wild with the posts.

It tends to rely on the use, the gear, and the type of tube. But my experience has found that it can make very noticable differences, sometimes bringing the gear up a whole notch and making it come into its own.

Some newer tubes are better than others but I have found NOS to be more sublime and musical sounding almost across the board. I have found some compromises to be ok. Indeed, Svetlana EL-34 tubes are pretty damn good for new as are Sovtek 2A3. To get a great Mullard EL-34 selection, you would pay more than some amps! But in both cases, good NOS selections are indeed better. But the tradeoffs are not bad.

On the other hand, I really find that in preamp and input/driver tubes, such as 6SN7/6SL7/12AX7/12AU7 etc, the NOS choice is REALLY worth the extra ducats no matter what. I have never heard a single modern 6SN7 to even come near good NOS selections. If you have a preamp with a phono stage that relies on 12AX7 or so, then NOS Mullards and other options walk all over the modern coutnerparts. I used to be a big fan of Telefunken tubes but have become less enamored over the years. The Telefunken 12AX7 has received almost insane word of mouth status but I now prefer certain versions of Mullard in my phono.

So to basically answer your question, once you get your gear to a certain level, the NOS counterpart can and does indeed make a VERY big sonic difference. Of course, gains can also be small. There are lots of variables at play.

I think it's worth it to reach the circuit's full potential, however (given the above points).

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-09-2002 at 05:08 PM

Hey, I'm just trying to keep things moving over here on the old 2-channel forum, lol.

It sure makes one jittery when you sit down and figure out you just got done spending enough on NOS tubes to buy a 3rd world country.

(4) Amperex 7308 USN-CEP, white label, PQ military type, gold pins, and matched triode sections. $400

(4) Amperex 6922 PQ Label, white box, USA made, gold pins. $280

(2) Beckman labeled, Amperex 6922, USA made, gold pins. $100

(4) Amperex 6DJ8, Bugleboy Logo, made in Holland. $140

(2) Mullard 6922, SQ label, gold pins. $130

(4) RCA 6CG7 Clear tops. $64

(4) Siemens, East German EL-34's, matched quad. $125

...and this is just for the freaking NOS. There is also the $170 I spent on my matched quad Svetlana KT-88's.

I could have bought a set of Cornwall's with all that money!!!

Ah, better not to think about these things.

Oh yes, ask me if I like the sound of the 6922!!!

Yeesh.

At any rate. I'm set. I'm close to having enough tubes for 3 complete retube jobs on my equipment. This is important, as my wife is quitting her job in July to fully dedicate her time to home schooling the kids. So, no more play money for some time to come.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 / S F Line 1 / S9000ES / HSU x-over / SVS CS+ / RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-09-2002 at 08:34 PM

Hey, I shot 200+ rounds of 7.62 X 39mm Russian Army Communist surplus ammo circa 1970 today and it was fine! I imagine tubes are the same!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Sorry Dean but you could've bought cornwalls with change to spare. '77s oiled walnuts w/ alnico went today on ebay for under $700.

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

So Ken, was that nice Russian ammo non-corrosive? Might want to soak the metal of that weapon in kerosene for a day or so.

Kev, did these Cornwalls sell out of Ohio -- or BF Egypt like the rest I always see?

That's O.K. -- there's something about holding a rare matched set of Amperex 7308's in your hand -- that is another kind of rush altogether.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

Deang, it was a friends AK, so I will trust it is OK! He has 1000's of rounds of the stuff, and it seems fine!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!