Magnaplanar info? MG1-C

oldmako

A local gent has a pair in very nice physical condition. At least, they look very nice in the pics. He claims they sound great and is asking 150. I'm out of town and will give them a listen when I return.

From what I have read, they need lots of power, the mylar tears, and aluminum wiring readily corrodes.

30 years ago I was in Myer Emco in DC when a guy was blasting The Doors, "Love Me Two Times" through them. They sounded great, although I'm pretty sure they were a larger model than the MG1's.

Any opinions?

I owned a pair of MG-1c just before acquiring my klipschorns, they had great resolution and sound "fast". they were a little light in the bass for my without the huge impact that big woofers or horn loaded bass horns can provide but then again that is why we buy these klipsch speakers. overall they were great speakers and I never had any of the problems you mention in your OP. I think the corrosion issue was more related to the ealier versions of the MG-1. it is true you need to treat them with care, not to be thrown around, etc. they DO need a hefty amp to do their stuff (I had a McIntosh SS amp hooked up to them). for $150 it seems to me to be a no brainer. regards, tony

I'm a Maggie fan. I like the sound of big panel speakers. I'm just waiting to finish painting the living room before I order a pair of 3.7s. Anyway, check with Magnepan, I think they can still repair the MG-1s. The only problem areas are delamination of the wires bonded to the mylar. This will cause a buzz. And yes bring plenty of power. A good rule of thumb is that if you don't mind moving your amp around, the amp is too small for Maggies.

Thanks for the info. I get back tomorrow night. With luck, they'll still be available. I've had CL deals fall apart on numerous occasions so I'm not holding my breath.

They're hooked up and I'll be able to listen to them. I've got a Phase 400 lying around so the power ought not be an issue.