Center of gravity for RS3-II

qlele

Does any one know where is the center of gravity

for the RS3-ii speaker? I am trying to build a speaker stand and I need to know this so the speaker can rest on its stand evently.

I am afraid to call Klipsch since they probably clueless of what I am talking about.

QLele.

I doubt even Klipsch knows what where the center of gravity of a given speaker is.

IMHO you can get pretty close by just balancing the speaker on a fulcrum. When the speaker doesn't have much of a tendency to fall over in either direction, you have found what you are looking for.

The RS-3 is not a huge speaker. Why not build the stands with platforms the same size and shape as the RS-3? You can go to a nearby dealer and measure or do the fulcrum test. A marble is good for that.

Even if you do know the center of gravity, do you want to make a very small top platform on the stands? I cannot envision how that might be helpful; other than to save a bit of material.

The thing is bilaterally symmetrical - uh, the left and right sides are the same - so wherever the center of gravity lies, it's going to be on the centerline. It's only seven and a half inches deep, so assuming the CG is toward the rear of the speaker, which seems a safe bet given the way the magnets are arranged, you'd have to be talking about a dinky little platform like an inch or so wide and three inches deep before you'd have a problem with the speaker not balancing on it. I think you'd have a much bigger problem with the damn thing vibrating off and falling if you made a platform that small. Seems any resonably sized platform centered under the speaker ought to be okay.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray, you mentioned a good point, "vibrating off". I have not taken this into consideration. Good point!

I found some really cheap halogen floor lamp ($15 each) with heavy, very heavy base, cut the top part off to about 4 feet and mount a platform to attach the speaker to. I tried it the other night, the speaker seemed to stay tight in place. I don't know if loud vibration can knock it off. But I think the base is too heavy for it to tip over.

Any one would like to see a picture, email me at qlele@yahoo.com

I was doing this:

I'd make the platform about 1/2 inch bigger on each side than the base of the speaker. Then put 1/4 round trim around the perimeter.

That way you'll have a "fence" around the edges to prevent the speaker from slipping off.

Of course you can accomplish the same sort of thing with a ring of trim around the outside of the platform which stands proud of the platform, and might look better.

Of course I'd counsel caution in any design if there are little kids around.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 06-13-2002 at 07:16 PM