Reconing K-33's...

mustang guy

I have 2 pairs of K-33 drivers that need reconed. I have never done it myself before, but I love to try new things. Does anybody know where I can buy some 4 ohm recone sets for these drivers? I have looked around, and reconing sets I've found are all 8 ohm. Also, I would like to know if there is a decent instruction page or video out there to help.

I may make some LaScala bass cabs for them. That would really liven up the cave. [:)]

See this thread, someone else was having the same sort of issue... http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/167376.aspx

Yes I did read that thread, and it was about a pasive radiator with some rips. Some great tips in there. Coffee filters. [:)] Grand idea...

Unfortunately, mine are speakers not passives, and have to be reconed, voicecoils and all. The cones all suffer from dry rot. On a couple of them you can actually see through about 50% of the cone. Two of the voicecoils are shot.

It may be cheaper to buy cast replacements, yada yada, but what's the fun in that? I wanna learn how to do this...

The kits I used were from Klipsch. Since Eminence builds the woofers exclusively for Klipsch, they will not sell the kits to anyone other than Klipsch. I think I still have a few kits left from way back when I did that one recone. That one was enough to convince me that I was not likely to get into the recone business. Not that there was any problem with the reconed woofer, it is still working fine. Just that with the cost of the kit from Klipsch, the glue Eminence told me to use at $25.00 per ounce, and the amount of time to do the recones, seemed more logical to buy a new woofer.

Bob Crites

The kits I used were from Klipsch. Since Eminence builds the woofers exclusively for Klipsch, they will not sell the kits to anyone other than Klipsch. I think I still have a few kits left from way back when I did that one recone. That one was enough to convince me that I was not likely to get into the recone business. Not that there was any problem with the reconed woofer, it is still working fine. Just that with the cost of the kit from Klipsch, the glue Eminence told me to use at $25.00 per ounce, and the amount of time to do the recones, seemed more logical to buy a new woofer.

Bob Crites

Thanks. I will give Klipsch a call.

Parts Express sells a couple of different speaker glues: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=340-076 and http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=340-078. I expect they use it in their own reconing service. They priced me about $63 each to recone mine including professionally packing and shipping them back to me.

Oddly, I couldn't find cones and coils on PE's website. Perhaps they third party this service out. I may call them too.

I wonder if the reconed speaker would have parameters similar to the original, or be very very different?

Read Bob Crites' thread. The parameters should be the same, unless you goof something up like using an 8 ohm voicecoil, or the wrong cone fabric, or get something aligned wrong, etc.

I wonder if the reconed speaker would have parameters similar to the original, or be very very different?

Read Bob Crites' thread. The parameters should be the same, unless you goof something up like using an 8 ohm voicecoil, or the wrong cone fabric, or get something aligned wrong, etc.

or the wrong glue....

or the wrong glue....

OK, now you just made my stomach turn over. I ordered some of the parts-express glue. I am going to do some serious research now before I actually use any of it... I'll let you all know my findings.

BTW, the K-43's sound great in those Frat-House Lascalas. The K-33's were rotten!