Vacuum Tube Audio Onboard from A-Open

fxklipsch

A-Open seems to have a decent breakthrough with their new motherboard series. The board equiped with onboard Vacuum Tube technology to give us, PC user, very high quality audio output.

Any comments about this?

Will this technology bring us to a new era of computer audio environtment?

Or just a bluff or waste of money?

check the two channel audio forum and the promedia 5.1 forum. it was talked about there.

not too promising to me, i see lots of cons to having an onboard tube. neat idea, but maybe not the best solution.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• 4 weeks later...

I agree Justin,while the tubed output on the AOpen is neat its more for show then a real audiophile piece IMO.

I will get this baord if I can get my hands on it.Just for kicks and to hear if the claims of AOpen are true.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

i dont' really see how tubes, a technology outdated by the invention of the transistor, will contribute to the pc audio industry. about the only thing it could really contribute is higher output with the same level of input (from the motherboard, about 5 volts)... this small increase in output volume is really not needed, since anyone serious about pc audio buys self-powered speakers. some will argue that tubes will generate a warmer sound, but this is generally achieved by tube pre-amps...not the output tubes. i'm also curious about the heat they would produce...

just my thoughts on the matter...

tube amps sound better than solid state amps. they have a 'warmer' sound.

they also get really hot, at least mine do. it could spell disaster for a motherboard and CPU.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• 1 month later...

"tube amps sound better than solid state amps. they have a 'warmer' sound.

they also get really hot, at least mine do. it could spell disaster for a motherboard and CPU."

Did you hear a high quality High-End solid state power amp? Reading your post probably not.

Well I did and I own a few High-End solid state amps,I can say without a shadow of a doubt solid state is more accurate and can sound as good as tubes do.Unless you want this warmish,sound a few owners of harsh sounding speakers like.

The tube in question on the AOpen board does not generate the heat needed to cause any damage.Unless you have no ventilation in the case and keep your case on the stove. LOL

Its one little tube,not an army of Audio Research Reference 600 tubes placed on a motherboard. LOL

PS Tubes are not outdated,many true reference quality amps use them.Both well designed tube and transistor amps can sound damn good.Tubes need to be replaced faster.

TheEAR(s) Now theears