Forte Buzz

ChipByrd

Hello Gents, 

I am having some problems with my Forte's. I am hoping someone on this site might be able to give me some help. There's a buzzing sound that comes from my passive woofer that I noticed at about 40 Hz.  The buzzing becomes less pronounced as the frequency increases. It sounds like something is rattling and I have checked to see if I can identify anything that's loose and I can't. Any ideas or suggestions?

sure run a small bead of white wood glue around the edge of the dust cap and the cone let dry (will dry in an hour or two) and your dust caps should be as new. If you have noise after that it can only be the spider and I have seen them delaminate so pop the passives out and take a good look at the spider adhesive joint to the frame and the cone but it will likely be the joint to the frame. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

No need to be sorry for asking you are exactly right. If the glue joint holding a dust cap fails sometimes the edge of the cap breaks loose from the cone and at the right frequency there will be enough air pressure and vibration to make it jump up and down each time smacking the cone as it slaps back into place this can make anything from a buzzing sound to a popping or frapping sound and it can be soft or very loud.

A fresh contiuious bead of white glue will insure that the dust cap is firmly held in place and it adds very little weight as most of what you apply evaporates. Good luck finding your buzz. You can use water based contact cement to bond the spider back in place if it has come loose from the basket (frame). Best regards Moray James.