Qinpu A-6000 with La Scalas?

Boomzilla

Audio Advisor, Amazon, and others sell an inexpensive 16wpc Chinese hybrid amp called the Qinpu A-6000. The amp uses a pair of tubes for the preamp stage and a pair of solid-state chip amps for the main outputs.

I have vintage La Scalas and am curious to know if anyone else has tried the Qinpu with the La Scalas?

My system is a bit odd since I'm running a subwoofer with the La Scalas, but that shouldn't affect the sound of the Qinpu.

Also, I've ordered some "Type A" crossovers from Mr. Bob Crites for my La Scalas. Since ALL of my speaker wires are terminated with banana plugs, what's the best way to add banana jacks to the La Scala?

Finally, my cabinets are beaten up. I'm contemplating either using wood putty to fill the gaps and then just painting the cabs, or wrapping the whole darn things in wood-look contact paper. Any suggestions on refinish?

Thanks Y'all - Boomzilla

It should work fine and sound fine assuming the amp is capable. I've driven a variety of Klipsch speakers using T amps together with tube preamps. It's actually a nice combination. I've seen the Qinpu in the AA cataloge and for the price it's probably worth a shot. I'm guessing it's a pretty nice headphone amp as well.

cubdog

As it turns out, there IS a really capable & experienced tube repair guy in town - works for the "live music" store & mostly does guitar/bass/pa amps. He was excited at the opportunity to repair my VTL Compact 100 monoblocks. I already know that those amps are a PERFECT match for my La Scalas, so the Quinpu will probably either (1 - get returned or (2 - get sold to a friend or (3 - find a home in my computer room.

Now that I've got power amps lined out, what kind of a preamp should I use? Since the VTLs sound fine with a solid state preamp, I'm thinking an analog stereo preamp with bass management built in. The Emotiva preamps fit this profile. Who else makes solid-state analog preamps with built in bass management?