Synergy KF-30 vs Icon KF-28

rckt

There are 2 black friday sales, one at HH Greg selling KF-30 and one at BestBuy selling KF-28, both selling 50% off. I can't find any info on the differences except that they are sold at different stores. The klipsch website doesn't even list the KF-30, so I am assuming it may be an old model for HH Greg to unload. Any insight to the differences would be much appreciated.

About me: I just purchased a Denon 2312 to replace my old Sony gx808 with Sony speakers. Now I am in the market for floor front speakers + 1 center + 2 surround sound. I am not sure if I should get surround sound or bookshelf speakers for the back. One note, the back speakers face each other, i.e. side pointing, not pointing to the front.

I like the way the way the bookshelf speakers, fuller range than the surround sound. Any insight on this dilema would be helpful also. Thanks.

One more thing, most of my listening is blu-ray movies in 5.1. I also have 10" JBL sub that works well.

Gene

Are you sure it is not F30, either way they are so close that I would get the one you like best. I have some of the Icon line and think they are great speakers for movies and music. The older Icon V line had fibe composite woofers, the new Synergy and Icon's have IMG woofers. The horn is the major difference between the two lines. This Icon horn delivers a little wider soundstage IMO having owned speakers with both type of horns. The nice thing about either speaker is that it is front ported: easier room placement. Used Reference speakers can be had for the same money. Many of them in mint condition.

Thanks for responding. I think HH Greg re-labels the F-30 to KF-30. Salesman told me the box says F-30. I just didn't want to buy an older model as I read bad reviews on the Icon V, not the new Icon. All I can tell is the horn is 60x90 vs 90x90. Not sure how much of a difference that would make, seems 90x90 would be better.

Would the KC-10 center be OK with the KF-30 or should I upgrade to the KC-25. How close does the center speaker have to match the front?

I had the whole Icon V HT and it is a very nice system and as I changed my system to the Reference setup, the Icon V's that I mixed up with the Reference RF 7 held their own. The VS 14 surrounds and VC 25 was not overpowered by the RF 7's. The VS 14 surrounds look better than my RS 35's. I kept some of my IconV speakers to build another HT setup. Don't listen to reviewers, they pick on Best Buy products. As you can see in my signature I still use the VF 35's and have to desire to replace them with Reference speakers. In my system the Icon speaker were timber matched with the Reference speakers[Y]. They were well balance speakers, far as bass, midrange and Hi's. All I need is the VC 25 for the completer set. The VF 36 and 35 have three bass/midrange drivers. very nice. Good luck and stay on the fourm, you will learn a lot.

PS...Imo the 90x90 Icon horn has a better off axis response.

I am thinking of getting the KF-28 Icon and KC-25 Icon series from Best Buy for the front 3 and picking up the KB-20's from HH Greg for the surround sound speakers that actually sit right at the back of the couch facing each other. The question is which would be better, the KB-20 or KS-14 for the rear speakers. Does the 1/2 moon shape of the surround sound better than bookshelf if the speakers are facing each other (i.e. not towards the front). Thanks.

I just got off the phone with Klipsch. The KF-30 is the same as F-30. Now I am really confused. I wanted the KF-28 front speakers but now I am told by Klipsch that my Denon 2312 receiver doesn't have enough amps to support them, that I am better off with Bookshelf speakers, maybe the Refence RB 51 all around (4 speakers).

I'd have to respectfully disagree with Klipsch on that point. That Denon should have no problem powering what you are looking for. More would be better, but as long as you aren't listening at ear piercing levels, it should be fine. It also has pre-outs so if you wanted to add an external amplifier later so you can really turn it up, you'd be able to.

I called Crutchfield where I purchased my Denon. They agreed with you. Luck of the draw, the advisor had a Denon 2310 and Ref floor speakers with no issue at all. The Klipsch support was probably annoyed that I was his 5th call today, re: Icon vs Synergy series. Pretty much the biggest difference is looks. They should put that on their website.

Final thoughts. I will be going to BB on black friday, getting the KF-28 floor, KC-25 center and KS-14 surround all for about $980.

Check out Vann's Electronics, you may still find some Klipsch Icon for a better price. I brought my VF 35 and 36 from them and had them 2 days later. I have an extra set of VS 14 surrounds that I will let go for $ 125. They look and function like brand new speakers (10/10). Your avr will be more than enough to drive the speakers.

I called Crutchfield where I purchased my Denon. They agreed with you. Luck of the draw, the advisor had a Denon 2310 and Ref floor speakers with no issue at all. The Klipsch support was probably annoyed that I was his 5th call today, re: Icon vs Synergy series. Pretty much the biggest difference is looks. They should put that on their website.

Final thoughts. I will be going to BB on black friday, getting the KF-28 floor, KC-25 center and KS-14 surround all for about $980.

That will be a pretty damn good setup for a 1000$ budget. It should keep you very happy for a long time. I also think it looks very nice. I used to have some of the older model Icon speakers myself and was always extremely impressed with them, especially for the price even at retail.

Thanks. I only wish the KC-25 and KS-14 were 50% off also. Do they ever put those models on sale? I was thinking of getting the front 3 and waiting a few months if the KS-14 goes on sale.

Any good ideas on where to sell a pair of vintage Pioneer CS-911a speakers (15" woofer + 5 midrange/tweeter)?

Thanks. I listened to both the F-30 and KF-28 which sounded the same. They are different in cosmetics only. The Energy speakers aren't as bright. The Klipsch sound better for music but the Energy's sound better watching movies. Again, this is my opinion. For some reason, I couldnt pull the trigger on the Klipsch. Today I heard the Energy CF-50 and CF-70 towers and liked them alot. I am done shopping just have to figure cf-50 or cf-70. Thanks to everyone who responded.