Belles with ??

Tsmith

I would like to upgrade my low rent system. I listen to light rock and new age music with some piano mixed in for the spouse. I have a unmodified pair of 70s vintage Belles that are stock except I replaced the tweeters with EV T-350. I am currently using a DIY modified Dynaco preamp and a DIY 45 SE power (??) amp. I would like to bi-amp this setup and have some ss amps that I would like to use on the low end, and the 45s on the mid and high. I see the Elliott Sound Products crossovers and I'm wondering if I'm headed for a train wreck. Any suggestions or advise??

Thanks in advance.

Tom

If you do a site search on some combo of "biamp" and "La Scala" or "Klipschorn" you should find several threads where this was discussed.

I think the general concensus was that no one ws able to offer any examples of a successful attempt to biamp one of the heritage line (KHorn or Belle or La Scala), whether using tube/tube, sand/sand or tube/sand.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Thanks for the help. I'm a newbie to this site and didn't know how to navigate around to get information. You have given me a heads up that I may have a uphill struggle and it sounds like my time will be well spent researching prior to breaking our the soldering iron. Have a nice weekend.

Tom

Tsmith,

I also have a pair of 70's Belles and came to this Forum because I was not satisfied with the sonics from them. My first thought was bi-wiring them. Nah...wrong answer. Someone was "kind" enough to suggest closer examination of the amplification I was using. It took a while for me to connect the dots on why I had fallen in love with the Belle Klipsch speaker years before, but it was because I had always heard them connected to MacIntosh tube amps and preamps.(That was not a Mac commercial) I am now using 2A3 tubed SE monoblocks with my Belles and after some extensive tube rolling feel I'm achieving a sonic signature I like.

Could you reveal more about your Dynaco preamp and your DIY 45 SE amp? Which model Dynaco and what's the makeup of your 45 SE amp? I've yet to hear a 45 tube so maybe Mobile would be more help there, but I do know that rectifier and driver tubes play a part in the overall sound.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 06-16-2002 at 05:35 AM