KF-28 distorting...

Hutch1814

Hey all, been lurking for awhile and finally jumped on board! Thanks in advance for any help/ideas

I have a yamaha 367 (base model of yamaha at the time of purchase) and I recently upgraded my towers to KF-28's and plan to add the KC-25 in a few weeks. Problem is some music I listen to distorts and crackles on the towers. Now I never noticed this before but then again I had them less than a week before I noticed them. I don't do the super loud music but in not one to shy from jamming when the wife and kid are gone. I've never (IMO) pushed these speakers. Maybe to a +3 for about 5-10 seconds and nothing more than -10 any other time. Did I possibly damage them by cranking on them for that short amount of time?

Ido not think you damage them. You need a stronger avr. I had the same problem with my Icon V speakers with a 100 watt Sony avr. Which works fine with my HD 500 system. When pushed, you will get a bass/tweeter distortion, very metallic sound(harsh). The tweeter may be running 3-5 db louder than the bass. I got a Pioneer avr and just loved the Icon V sound.

I have the distortion problem with my new KF-28's when turning the volume up with a low end Sony receiver. I also get a staticky sound in the tweeters at certain frequencies at all volumes.I hooked up a Denon receiver I borrowed from a friend and the static and distortion went away.