Was the KN063 tweeter used in anything besides CF-3 or 4?

MikeFord

I've gotten interested in the Epic series, and the main feature seems to be the KN-63 2" tweeter. Anybody have more information on it, is it "like" some other compression driver?

I may just buy a pair of the Epic's, but I have a strong feeling I will like them in principle, yet still want the bottom end done differently (I prefer using a sub to squeezing the last bit out of speakers used in the vocal range).

Thanks.

The K63KN is an EVmade neo driver with an aluminum alloy diaphragm. It is a wide band driver that runs from around 800Hz out to 20 KHz one inch exit standard screw on. There are other drivers which you could used as long as you matched up the efficiency. The main feature of the CF3 and the CF4 that make it special is the large horn, the largest horn short of a K400 and that is what I would consider special about the speaker aside from the Dapolito configuration. I have not been much of a fan of the Dapolito configuration as it only works if you are on axis. I like the KG5.5 arrangement of two stacked woofers horn on top myself. The CF3 uses the one single large horn for almost everything you hear so I would say that fits your criteria of squeezing all you can out of a driver/horn 800Hz up to 20 KHz you can;'t squeeze much more than that. The horn is a very thin wall construction and it benefits from adding structural reinforcement and damping. I have used the lowly Peavey 22A on my CF3 and I find it a better match than the K63KN. The exit angle of the 22A and the conical section of the CF3 horn match up very nicely. You might want to hang this driver though as it is very heavy and as mentioned they (Klipsch) did not spend a lot on plastic resin for this horn and it would be suicide to ship a CF3 or 4 with a large drive installed. The K63KN also benefits from structural damping and acoustical damping under the diaphragm. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Just what I was looking for. the CF-3 are cheap, $400, but too far to drive and shipping did not look like a practical option.

If I am eventually going to want to play with the horn, like switching to wood instead of plastic, and the 22A an equal or better driver, I might as well take that tack from the start and build something.

Thanks for the info.

Not close to LA, closer to me, but seriously in the boonies as in nothing remotely to see in the area or on the way, and a good 3 hour or so drive.

Once I start dorking around I am sure I will try a few different types of horn material, but wood has a lot of appeal in that some of the best horns use it, and with all the cheap wood CNC around I expect to see more flexibility in options.

I found a local pair of Peavey 22A with nasty looking "baby butt" still horns, but asking price is $75 for the pair and they are supposed to work, so I might pick them up or at least make the guy an offer like $60. Funny to be looking for the 22A and some TAD's.