How to determine proper ear-bud fit?

nstroud

I just purchased a pair of S4i (II) in-ear headphones. It is both my first set of higher-end headphones, as well as true in-ear, canal based phones. Previously I was using the standard iPhone buds, which annoyed me for many reasons, not the least of which was them either feeling like they were going to fall out, or actually falling out, during even basic movement.

My question is really this: what should the proper fit of these phones be? Should I be looking for a really tight seal fit (larger bud size), which isolates more noise and gives a more secure feel, but gives slightly more pressure on my ears and isnt as comfortable as the other option. I imagine this will make longer-term continuous listening a little less comfortable. It also feels like the reflective sounds of the bass come through a bit better.

Or should I be looking for something a little bit looser (smaller size), which doesnt isolate as much noise, isnt as secure, has less bass presence, but has less pressure and I dont feel them as much in my ear (more comfortable)?

I know the classic response is whatever I feel is right but Im looking for expert guidance based on experience with these types of phones.

Thanks in advance.

i have given up on theperfect fit concept here. thye sound great when you finally get the right position, but that sound never makes it as long as a song - not even by half. have to constantly readjust. hard to believe this fit made it out of R and D. Trying to work out with them in - so distracting i have ot go back to my old pair. still love my floor speakers though.

Throw away the stock tips. Spend about $20 for three sets of Comply tips. These are far better than any of the stock tips. They stay in very well and isolate better than anything I know of. They make several different models including a pro tip that is longer to go further into your ear canal.

I just purchased a pair of S4i (II) in-ear headphones. It is both my first set of higher-end headphones, as well as true in-ear, canal based phones. Previously I was using the standard iPhone buds, which annoyed me for many reasons, not the least of which was them either feeling like they were going to fall out, or actually falling out, during even basic movement.

My question is really this: what should the proper fit of these phones be? Should I be looking for a really tight seal fit (larger bud size), which isolates more noise and gives a more secure feel, but gives slightly more pressure on my ears and isnt as comfortable as the other option. I imagine this will make longer-term continuous listening a little less comfortable. It also feels like the reflective sounds of the bass come through a bit better.

Or should I be looking for something a little bit looser (smaller size), which doesnt isolate as much noise, isnt as secure, has less bass presence, but has less pressure and I dont feel them as much in my ear (more comfortable)?

I know the classic response is whatever I feel is right but Im looking for expert guidance based on experience with these types of phones.

Thanks in advance.

Use a tighter seal. The seal will adjust to the shape of your ear over time.

I use the double flange and they are very comfortable with great sound. You know when you have them right since just about all outside noise is drown out and, at least for me, when I hum it sounds as if it is coming out of my head instead of through my ears.

Some days they are a little bit uncomfortable at first but they do adjust and are good after about 5 minutes. Normally I do not evenn feel them however.

• 1 month later...

A tight seal is what you want. The OEM tips are comfortable in my ears for hours. For what it's worth, I tried the Comply tips and thought they were terrible. I couldn't get them to seal in my ears and one kept coming off and getting stuck in my ear.

I use the large size. Some people may even need an extra-large size, but I don't think Klipsch makes an extra-large size.

Which Comply did you try? I use the T100, which go a little deeper in the ear. They stay put and seal well. As for coming off..... mine were a real snug fit. Had to work to get them on. Are you sure you have the right ones for your IEM's?