DIY Sub - How to match rf-83 finish?

hotsho111

Hey, I have a black ash RF-83 setup currently without a sub.

I'm planning on building it myself but I'm having trouble figuring out how to match the black ash finish on the 83's.

I tried using minwax ebony stain, which while not looking bad, isn't nearly close to the finish in the speakers.

I was going to try dying next but wanted to see if anyone knew an actual process before I wated more time/money.

Also, as a last resort, I could get this stuff, but I'd like to use real veneer if possible:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=261-610

True ash veneer is readily available from a number of sources. The trick would be getting the paint / stain correct. There has been some discussion here about getting back to the original black ash finish after sanding. As I recall it's actually a lacquer based paint the Klipsch uses. I just don't recall exactly what paint it was.

I've used the PE black ash vinyl and it's pretty nice. It does take a bit of care to get the corner folds tight and to prevent any bubbling between MDF or plywood and the vinyl. Unlike real wood veneers the only way to deal wth a bubble is to make a small cut to let the air escape. Wood veneers are generally porous enough that the air can escape by ironing and rolling.

You need to have whatever surface you're bonding the vinyl to be absolutely smooth. This is one place where MDF is better than plywood. Even the tiniest of bumps or voids will telegraph straight through the vinyl and look like crap

By the way if you do go the vinyl route skip the little yellow edge cutter. You'll do more harm than good with that piece of crap. A good sharp utility knife and perhaps an Xacto with a new blade is all you'll need.

Thanks for the tips.

I actually have one of those trim things that I customized a bit to...not suck.

I might give dying a test run this weekend but the vinyl route is sooooo appealing.

I spent 5 weeks prepping my tv stand and another 24 hours of actual paint time before it was done...