Question about K-48 Woofers

fan4fan1

Wondering if anyone is familiar with the Klipsch K-48 15" woofer. I have a pair and I am thinking of using them for a build of La Scala knock-offs instead of the K-33 usually used in an LS bass section. For instance, are they similar enough to use the same AL crossover?

Any help is appreciated!

John

Most of the k-48's I have seen are 8 ohms. K-33's are 4 ohms. So , you can't use them with out modifing the crossover. There are some k-48's out there that are 4 ohms.....so check to see if you have a 3.4/ 3.9 or 5.1/5.6 DCR. 3.ish would be 4 ohms and 5.ish would be 8 ohms. K-45's are 4 ohms and I have used them in LaScala's with no problem.

Probably not a good idea. Let's look at some T/S parameters. These will govern the required back volume and throat size etc.

First Column is K-33 and 2nd col is K-48

Qts: .388 & .350

VAS: 301 & 166 liter

Eff; 97 & 97 dB

Fs: 34 & 42 Hz

You need to decide whether these are close enough and whether you want to tweak the back volume and throat.

Full disclosure: I'm the guy with the custom-made Scala "top" (see C-Horn in the Garage Sale forum), I was trying to sell it but I'm going to keep it instead and have a second one built. And I have a pair of the PA style KP-1000 bass cabs that I lucked into. I've already connected the top to the KP-1000 from the C-Horn's AL-3 crossover woofer taps. It works and sounds pretty good, but not great. A little "shouty" if you know what I mean.The bass is definitely there though, and they seem to match in volume.

I am assuming the sound issue is because of the inherent mis-match you're referring to, whether it's the resistive difference between the drivers or a crossover mis-match to the K-48. Add to that the fact that the KP-1000 is a simpler ported box design, it may just not be meant to happen.

But am I hurting anything by using the KP-1000 with the Scala top? At least until I have real Scala style bass-bins built?Thanks for the help!

John