X10 Should not have been discontinued

jimw

Considering both comfort and sound quality, the X10 is the best IEM. I have been recommending the X10 to friends and colleagues and everyone has been quite pleased with the performance. On the other hand, I was very disappointed to see that the X10 has been discontinued! It seems that the X10 has been replaced by the X10i which is essentially an Apple headphone product complete with controls and a microphone that functions with Apple products. Unfortunately, the X10i is not a product that will be taken seriously by a serious audiophile. Most all manufactures of IEMs offer a standard IEM that does not provide a microphone or Apple controls because they realize that many customers of high-end IEMs don't use Apple products and therefore have no need or desire for the microphone and Apple controls. They see these frills as additional components that can become points of failure. When these customers notice that only an Apple version of the X10 is available (X10i), they will quickly look elsewhere to another manufacture of IEMs that is more catering to the audiophile market and Klipsch will loose these sales.

Unfortunately at this time, Klipsch doesn't even offer a flagship (non-apple) IEM product because the X10 has been discontinued! I believe that discontinuing the X10 was a mistake that sends a message to the IEM market that Klipsch is only interested in the Apple Market. In other words, if you don't want or need the microphone on the X10i and the Apple Controls, then you as the customer should take your business to another IEM manufacturer that offers IEMs without the microphone and Apple Controls.

Hopefully Klipsch will change its strategy and bring the X10 back into the product line as a standard flagship product offering. Klipsch should offer both the X10 and the X10i.

I agree with most of what you said here. Even though I use an Apple phone I do not use an earphone of any sort with it. I use bluetooth, both in the car and in my office. When I use an IEM it is strictly for music, and like you, I do not want the Apple controls on the cord. And it obviously costs more for the i version than for the standard version. Consumers that either don't have an Apple phone or don't use the phone for listening to music will balk at paying extra for something that they don't want or need. And they will look elsewhere for IEM's.

With that in mind, Klipsch isn't in the business of losing sales. I suspect that they have another model in the works or some other option as a replacement for the X10. And to be honest, I was not aware that the X10 was discontinued. Maybe someone from Klipsch will read this and respond.

As for the X10 being the best IEM..... I don't share your opinion. While they are very good, the Shure SE535 is light years ahead of the X10 and most everything else out there. If you had said best IEM for the money, then you would have a good arguement. The SE535 is almost $500 and the X10 is less than half of that. The X10 probably fits into the same category as the 3 series Shure's, but at a better price point. I think they are a good sounding IEM, especially when used with a set of Comply tips, which are more comfortable and isolate better than the standard silicon tips. I think Shure needs to come out with a true high end IEM to compete in the market with the higher end Shures, the Etymotics, JH, etc.

In my quest to find the perfect IEM, I tested the Shure SE 535, Westone-4, and the X10. I agree with you that the SE535 was the best sounding IEM, however when listening to music for several hours, it was uncomfortable and I had to reseat it many times. My ears are extremely sensitive and I don't like the bulkiness of the many IEMs. I experienced the same comfort issue with the Westone-4, and in my opinion, the X10 is a better sounding IEM. On the other hand, the X10 sounded almost as good as the expensive SE535 while providing an excellent soundstage. For me. comfort is of the utmost importance during long listening sessions and IEMs such as the SE535 and Westone-4 are bulky and can never achieve the comfort level of the X10. If you consider comfort, lack of bulkiness, and sound quality, the X10 is the best IEM on the market. It would be great if Klipsch were working on a new product to replace the X10, however it is very unusual for a company to discontinue an existing product before announcing a new product. I believe that the Klipsch Marketing strategy is to replace the X10 with the X10i assuming that the audiophile would be able to simply ignore the Apple controls and the microphone. This just isn't reality and I believe that audiophiles will look elsewhere for high-end IEMs.

I agree that they are larger and might seem bulkier and harder to wear. I used the original black "acorn" tips but didn't care for them, like you said, over longer listening periods. I used the yellow foam tips and although they were more comfortable, they didn't isolate nearly as well. Then I had an audiologist do an impression of my ears and had custom made molds made that pretty much fit my ears perfectly. But the comfort level was awful. After about 20 minutes, I was done. I was at IES last year in Vegas and I went to the Comply booth. The guy gave me a handful of their different tips to try. They made all the difference in the world. They are very comfortable, they stay put well and they isolate almost as well as the custom molds. I used the 535's with them last night and I listened to all of Led Zep's Celebration Day CD - both sides. No fatigue and no discomfort. Regardless of which IEM you use you should try them.

One thing I do like about the X10 is it's narrow tubular shape. I do NOT like the silicon tips but I would sure like to try a pair with Comply tips. Don't get me wrong - I am not saying a bad word about the X10. It is a good IEM that I would give a solid rating. I just like the 535 a whole lot better. Personal opinion. I agree that it is unusual for a company to discontinue one thing before they bring out a replacement, but it happens. Surely Klipsch will do something to replace the X10, or reissue it. Have you tried the S4? A step below the X10 and kind of bass heavy and lacking some in the mid range, but still a solid IEM that is a real value at less than $100.

I would love to try the Shure 535, but I just can't bring myself to shell out that much for an IEM -- the $300 I put out for my ER-4P was the limit for this type of product. I think the X10 is an awesome product. I go back and forth between the Etymotics and the Klipsch with ease, I like them both about the same. If you aren't aware of this, and it sounds like you aren't -- Klipsch has been running a fire sale on the X10s since Christmas on Amazon. The price has been fluctuating between $90 and $130. Right now, they are selling again for $89.99. Is this a no brainer or what? I've actually bought four pairs of these things so far. I put one pair back and the others I've given away as gifts. I'm extremely tempted to buy another pair or two.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-X10-Noise-Isolating-Earphone/dp/B000WAHFBK

I like the dual flange silicon tips -- mostly because I think they provide the best sound. I tried some nice tri-flange silicon tips from a buyer on ebay, and though they are extremely comfortable and provide great isolation -- they are doing something to the sound I don't like.

I frequent other forums, and one of the things I keep running into is the opinion that the multi armature types are overrated. Many try the Shures or Sennheisers and run back to their ER-4Ps. I will likely try the 535s at some point so I can decide for myself.

Good posts, I enjoyed reading them. Thanks.

It would be interesting to try the comply tips, however I find the tips that come with the X10 to be extremely comfortable and they provide a perfect fit for my ears. I have a pair of the S4 and I use them when exercising. I like the S4 but as you said, it is base heavy and lacks a little on the midrange. 80 percent of my listening is classical and jazz. The signature of the X10 is perfect for this kind of music because it doesn't really add anything to the music and it is so comfortable and light, it's like it's not even there if that makes any sense. The soundstage is also exceptional. The X10 has also received some excellent reviews on head-fi. As you said, the X10 is not the absolute best IEM, but if you consider comfort, light-weight, and audio quality in a tiny package, it is really quite exceptional.

If you do try the 535's, make sure (Shure) that you try a set that is well broken in. I found that mine were kind of stiff sounding out of the box. But I only spent a few minutes with them before I broke them in for more than 50 hours with an iPod set on shuffle. Like night and day. And after 200 hours they were as sweet and silky smooth as you would expect for something with that price. I absolutely love them. I also have a set of Klipsch S4 that I like a lot, but they are different animals and I use them for different kinds of listening. The X10 is in between the S4 and the 535. But hey, if you like them and if they are comfortable to you, stay with what you like. My opinion and a quarter is worth about as much as a cup of coffee.

If the Klipsch tips work for you then stick with them and save the $20. It is all about what you like and what works for you. I don't like them at all, but that is me. Some drive Ford and some drive Chevy.....

The 535 is exceptional for Jazz. I am not a classical guy so I can't comment there. I don't like the S4 for jazz but I like them a lot for rock. I noticed from another post that Amazon is having a fire sale on the discontinued X10. For $89 I am going to grab a set.

Considering both comfort and sound quality, the X10 is the best IEM. I have been recommending the X10 to friends and colleagues and everyone has been quite pleased with the performance. On the other hand, I was very disappointed to see that the X10 has been discontinued! It seems that the X10 has been replaced by the X10i which is essentially an Apple headphone product complete with controls and a microphone that functions with Apple products. Unfortunately, the X10i is not a product that will be taken seriously by a serious audiophile. Most all manufactures of IEMs offer a standard IEM that does not provide a microphone or Apple controls because they realize that many customers of high-end IEMs don't use Apple products and therefore have no need or desire for the microphone and Apple controls. They see these frills as additional components that can become points of failure. When these customers notice that only an Apple version of the X10 is available (X10i), they will quickly look elsewhere to another manufacture of IEMs that is more catering to the audiophile market and Klipsch will loose these sales.

Unfortunately at this time, Klipsch doesn't even offer a flagship (non-apple) IEM product because the X10 has been discontinued! I believe that discontinuing the X10 was a mistake that sends a message to the IEM market that Klipsch is only interested in the Apple Market. In other words, if you don't want or need the microphone on the X10i and the Apple Controls, then you as the customer should take your business to another IEM manufacturer that offers IEMs without the microphone and Apple Controls.

Hopefully Klipsch will change its strategy and bring the X10 back into the product line as a standard flagship product offering. Klipsch should offer both the X10 and the X10i.

The X10i sounds exactly like the X10. We are simply adding features to the X10. Adding features without sacrificing quality shouldn't be a bad thing. I am surprised you feel so strongly against iOS products. You have to consider how the majority of people listen to music...its via their mobile device which is usually an iPhone or Android in most cases. The remote/mic add significant functionality to those devices. The days of people listening to dedicated music devices is pretty much over.

When we discontinue something, we do it for a reason. This group of people you are referring to as "audiophiles" who automatically dismiss an product that has iOS compatibility is an absolutely tiny/minuscule number of people. In reality, that's not really the case. Plenty of audiophiles use and LOVE their iOS devices.

The fact that X10 was discontinued allowed a lot of consumers to pick up the X10 from Amazon on an extraordinary discount. It has been discontinued for quite some time and the fact that it had to be offered at such a low price should tell you something.

That being said, we do take our customer's feedback into account, so thank you very much for your message. Maybe we will offer the X10 sans remote again in the future. We do offer the S4 sans remote as you may have noticed.

I believe that the Klipsch Marketing strategy is to replace the X10 with the X10i assuming that the audiophile would be able to simply ignore the Apple controls and the microphone. This just isn't reality and I believe that audiophiles will look elsewhere for high-end IEMs.

Disagree in your wild assumption that audiophiles have some sort of hate for iOS devices.

Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I work as a software developer that provides software for Apple Computers and I own two of them. I am not against IOS or Apple products and I believe that the X10i is a great product for the IOS market. On the other hand, half of the smartphone market is dominated by Android-based phones and I don't believe that the X10i Apple Controls will function on the Android phones. If the Apple Controls won't function on an Android phone, wouldn't it make more sense for an Android phone user to purchase the X10 rather than the X10i? Also, many audiophiles use dedicated devices to listen to their music and the X10i Apple Controls will not be useful to them. Check out head-fi.org and you will find a lot of the folks there using dedicated music devices. I agree with you that the segment of the market using dedicated music devices may be small, but it definitely exists. I have noticed that you offer the S4 sans controls/mic and I also own the S4. While the S4 is an excellent product, the X10 brings-out even more subtle details in the music. In my opinion, folks that own dedicated music devices will be more inclined to purchase the X10 rather than the S4. If you examine the IEM product offerings of Shure such as the SE series, the Etymotic ER-4, and others, you will notice that these high-end products are offered without Apple Controls. Some of the aforementioned products can also can be purchased with Apple controls. The manufacturers provide the option so that the customer can decide.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my input. I am a big fan of the X10, S4 and other Klipsch products and have been recommending them for many years. I believe that when you consider comfort, size, and audio quality, Klipsch has achieved near-perfection with the X10/X10i. I hope that in the future Klipsch will consider offering the X10 sans Apple Controls as a standard flagship product offering. In the mean time, I will purchase a second pair from Amazon.

Klipsch / I am always on head-fi (username is Alex L) and know that this segment exists and its influence...but ya, sales are sales. Wouldn't rule anything out but that's the fact of the matter.

Btw, you should be happy we discontinued the X10 because you are getting them for cheap on Amazon! haha :)

Thank you very much for the kind words!

I broke down and nabbed a set of X10 for $89. I don't NEED them, but for that price I couldn't pass them up. I have too many headphones and IEM's as it is but a man can't have too many toys, right? My S4's are about 5 years old and I abuse them. They still sound great but I keep expecting them to die on me at some point. If they ever do I will bring the X10 into service. Heck of a deal for $89. I have turned several folks on to them.

I ordered another set of X10 today from Amazon, because you just can't beat them for the price, or even for twice that price. Maybe Klipsch will keep manufacturing the X10 to supply Amazon. Klipsch has a real winner with this product. Sometimes I wonder if audiophiles overlook these exceptional IEMs because they are brainwashed into believing that they need a multiple armature design as it is the current rage in IEMs. Who knows; but I do know that when you combine the criteria of small size, light weight, perfect fit (Klipsch patented ear tips are exceptional), excellent audio quality and a wide soundstage, the X10 beats the competition even at twice the price. Do you get the fact that I'm very impressed with these IEMs? The quest to find the perfect IEM had become an obsession. After years of going through many IEMs and Headphones, I have finally found an IEM that delivers the sound quality that I demand along with the comfort needed for long listening sessions.

I have two in reserve including a set of Lou Reed versions. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on another pair of er-4p's which are also on sale. EIM's are like crack. None of these sound within a light year as good as my Beyerdynamic t5p's, but they sure are a lot easier to tote around!

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered another set of X10 today from Amazon, because you just can't beat them for the price, or even for twice that price. Maybe Klipsch will keep manufacturing the X10 to supply Amazon. Klipsch has a real winner with this product. Sometimes I wonder if audiophiles overlook these exceptional IEMs because they are brainwashed into believing that they need a multiple armature design as it is the current rage in IEMs. Who knows; but I do know that when you combine the criteria of small size, light weight, perfect fit (Klipsch patented ear tips are exceptional), excellent audio quality and a wide soundstage, the X10 beats the competition even at twice the price. Do you get the fact that I'm very impressed with these IEMs? The quest to find the perfect IEM had become an obsession. After years of going through many IEMs and Headphones, I have finally found an IEM that delivers the sound quality that I demand along with the comfort needed for long listening sessions.

No, we have not been brainwashed into believing that multi-BA ear pieces perform better, they actually do. The Custom3 did, The now defunct UE/Logitech Triple-fi 10 does, The 3 armature 3way Westone3 does, not even mentioning the 4 armature Westone4, it is simple physics. The real strenght of the Image X10s that they are able to closely match the performance of the multi-driver IEMs, and as you metnioned, they are very comfortable. Another major X10 "signature climb" is bass. The tiny plugs can thunder with so much power, they put some high performance sub-woofers to shame.