Forte I - glued base removal?

I'm rehabbing a pair of Forte Is. The base front on one is in pretty bad shape so I'd like to rotate it, at least temporarily. Even if I make a new base it'll need to come off. Unfortunately, the bases are screwed and glued in place. Was this common practice at the factory or did someone add glue later on? It looks to be polyurethane based glue.

Has anyone ever faced this problem? I'd like to remove it with little or no damage to the bottom veneer.

All assistance appreciated.

Dave

Umm... that's embarrassing. I used a thin putty knife and the worst of the two bases came off. Glad the veneer is good and sturdy. My original efforts made it seem like the wood would lift with the glue. Guess it's time to open the back...

Please also see my request in the garage sale area. Looking for a single copper badge for the grill.

Those Forte of yours will sound especially nice up on a 12" high four post stand. The picture attached is of a similar size cabinet on such a stand. The point of the excercise is to raise the level of the mid horn. The centre of the mid horn should be at your seated ear level. give it a try I am sure that you will be impressed with the results. Best regards Moray James.

post-46582-13819829850422_thumb.jpg