Rotel vs Outlaw with Klipsch?

JHoff80

Alright, I'm wondering what anyones opinions are on using either the new Rotel preamp (1066?) or the Outlaw 950 with Klipsch Legends (KLF-20s, C7, and KSP-S6s). What I've been hearing so far is that the Outlaw is slightly brighter and the Rotel is warmer, but is more of a quality to do with the amps? Is there an amp that could tame this brightness of both the Outlaw preamp and the klipschs and have everything sound good together? I'd rather get the Outlaw, since its slightly more inexpensive and the feature set seems to be what I'm looking for, but am wondering what everyone else thinks about how it will sound.

This message has been edited by JHoff80 on 06-21-2002 at 08:05 PM

JHoff80, you ask the exact same question that I have. I am considering something other than the Outlaw - it is still not available after the most recent halt in production. I have been reading that the Rotel is somewhat "warmer" than the Outlaw. If you get a bright combination in the audio chain, you may end up with a "bright" sound - what you prefer is up to your ears. An exceptionally bright combination will sound harsh through the Klipsch.

I am getting tired of waiting for the Outlaw, but I'm beginning to wonder how the Outlaw preamp would sound through my Klipsch anyway. The warmer sounding Rotel may very well be the better partner to my Outlaw amp and Klipsch speakers. I have located a dealer with the Rotel 1066 in stock - I'm just nervous about taking the leap on a $1500 pre/pro. I'm also still reading up on it.

The preamp will affect the sonic character of the audio chain - the challenge is to find a combination of amp and preamp that work with the Klipsch. In either case, use the return policy in case the unit is not good in your system.

If I do take the leap, I'll let you know how it turns out.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>