Sub not firing correctly

Compuelf

I'll go back and try those steps again just to be sure. You never know with electronics and a Novice :). A side question, I am just using a normal digital Coax for my LFE. Is the Subwoofer cable with grounding wire really necessary? Could that be part of the issue as well?

Ok so here is an update. When I plugged in my computer directly using an RCA-Y cable like before it was SUPER loud, and seemed to ignore the volume input on the back of the sub itself. It would not turn down. So I stopped that and plugged my MP3 player in the same way... it also started super loud, but now does not seem to be returning anything from the sub. The volume was all the way down when first plugged in, as was the crossover. Now when i try to play from my mp3 no matter how high i turn the volume.... nothing. Stopped the mp3 player, unplugged, replugged in cables... slight feedback... started music again... sub worked for 3 seconds then stopped. :(