Surround Speakers

STARSKI

I recently purchased a 61" projection tv with a built in amp. i want to use the tv for my center channel, and my la scala's for my front channel. i'm looking for a pair of klipsch speakers that will compliment the la scala's and give me good surround sound for movies. i'm currently using bose for the rear channel and i don't like them, the la scala's over power the bose. what do you recommend.

my headphones over power your BOSE Smile.gif j/k

any heritage speaker should work, but waht size is the room, what is the budget, etc etc. like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Starsky - If I read you right, you're going to use your TV as your center speaker, between 2 LaScala's for mains? If I might say so, I think you're asking for a challenge -- I can't imagine that TV speaker system keeping up with the LaScala's, or being anywhere close to them in terms of sound. I believe you will have a rather mis-matched front soundstage.

I would suggest one of 2 things:

1) Use the "phantom" mode of your surround decoder to create a center channel using the LaScala's (basically, you say you have no center speaker in the surround's setup).

2) Save the money you were going to spend on surrounds right now, and buy a better matching speaker for a center channel, like a Heresy, or KLF-C7, or even and RC-7.

Just my .02...

Doug

------------------

My System

AHH! did not see that. you will not even hear the center channel chances are w/o a dedicated speaker for it. i say what dougdrake says. contrary to my email.

i would get 3 heresy's here, center and the two rears. you may have to turn up the heresy center gain to make sure it all matches around, and/or turn down the rear gain, your center generally holds the vast majority of the sound in 5.1 encoded movies.

but whatever you do, try to keep it all heritage, well, at least I would.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

One more vote for getting a separate center channel. I tried the same thing after purchasing a new Toshiba widescreen model - Toshiba built-in speakers are actually quite good for television speakers, and it is wired for use as a center. But it took me all of ten seconds in a comparison test to throw that idea right out the window. Buy/find/steal a matching center!

Also, when I used a TV as a center speaker, I found copious amounts of hiss to go along with the sound. Very hard to hear with all that hiss in the background. Don't know where it came from but it was there and it was very distracting. Went to a dedicated center channel speaker and hiss all gone. Take some advise, get a center channel speaker NO MATTER WHAT.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub RSW-15

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800 (Soon to be Denon 9000)

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

Whoa, STARSKI, using a TV for a CENTER is a worse idea than using BOSE-O's for surrounds. Upwards of 75% of the TOTAL sound on a DVD movie is directed through the CENTER channel... and, compared to your LaScalas... every TV speaker is crap... including the ones on my high dollar 65" RPHD beauty.

Additionally, If you don't like Bose... the lack of tone & timbre match across the front sound stage should be VERU unrealistic. A great center channel and an adequate bass are the keys to HT enjoyment. Sell your Bose to Hutch... or someone else who doesn't know ant better... and use the money to for a Heresy center... and if you can't afford Heresy surrounds try for a couple of Academys.

So, my vote agrees with the other posters... could luck with your journey into reality. -HornED

My advice about getting a center channel speaker takes things a step further, but I think it makes sense. Home theater isn't as much like 2-channel stereo as we sometimes think. In stereo systems, the left and right front speakers are sometimes called, correctly, the "mains," and some of us use a center channel as a fill.

In home theater, however, THE MAIN SPEAKER IS THE CENTER CHANNEL, because, as everyone knows, 60+% of the sound and 90+% of the most important sound comes out of the center channel, not the left and right front.

In home theater, you should not have a center channel speaker of lower quality than your left and right speakers. It makes sense to have your best speaker doing the most important work. By all means, get a center channel speaker, and by all means, get another La Scala or even a Belle from somewhere. If you don't, you'll never know what you're missing. If you do, you'll never be sorry. Check out HornEd's HT system if you don't want to listen to me, and see what he did.

If you MUST scrimp on speakers, do it on the surrounds. Heresys or Academys there would be fine.

This message has been edited by Hardhead on 06-24-2002 at 10:42 PM