Classic McIntosh MA 5100 amp found, need advice.

phishken

Howdy Guys,

found an McIntosh MA-5100 amp today at the pawn shop. I was flying by when fate made me slam on my breaks to look inside. Been reading alot about tube amps lately and decided I want one and a pair of Hereseys.

heres to links to pictures of this amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1361622599

http://www.retroaudio.ru/mcintosh/integ/MA-5100.shtml

the one I looked at today had the wood cabinet like the ebay picture above. But the amp I looked at was in spotless condition. I'd say mint but I didnt get to plug it in yet. It looked very well cared for, not even any dust.

Price tag on it was $550. Assuming this thing is in working condition, would you consider this a good buy? Could my Synergy SF-1s handle this amp?

I did ask the guy if he could deal on it, and he declined at the time as it had just arrived in the store. What do you guys think? Get this or save up more and buy a kit. I appreciate any advice, Im new to this but crave dank sound.

many thanks.

ken

Ken,

I am not so sure that is a tube integrated amp you are looking at. Also, I would suggest watching the eBay action before assuming the pawn shop price is in the ballbark. If it has tubes you should know which tubes it has. I couldn't see any . You should really know what you have there before getting yourself clipped and shorn.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

HELLO...This is NOT a tube amp but a 45 watt integrated SOLID STATE. Its kinda cool but definitely not that sought after. It sounds OK..But I'd keep looking. I'm a McIntosh dealer and we,as a store, have sold Mac since the 50s. This is kinda neat and retro..but if youre patient, you'll find something better..here's some specs ::

ELECTRICAL: 45w/ch stereo, 90w mono. Response 20-20kHz (+0.5 -0.5dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -75dB high level, -70dB low level re 10mV. Output impedance 4, 8 or 16 ohms. Damping factor 100. Power amp noise -90dB. Input sensitivity and impedance: high level 0.3V at 250k, phono 2.0mV at 47k, tape head 2.0mV at 500k. Tape output 0.3V. Dual concentric tone controls +18dB to -18dB. LF filter 50Hz at 12dB/oct. HF filter 5k at 12dB/oct. Phase switch: 0 or 180. L+R adjustable to 6V at 5k ohms.

FRONT PANEL: Glass panel at top. Input selector: aux, tape, tuner, phono 1, phono 2 and tape hd. Bass and treble each dual concentric. Volume. Mode selector: L to L+R, R to L+R, stereo rev, stereo, mono (L+R), L+R to L and L+R to R. Balance. Rocker switches: comp: RIAA or LP, tape monitor, phase, speaker, power, LF filter, HF filter, loudness. Indicator lights for tape, speaker and power. Headphone jacks.

BACK PANEL: Barrier terminals for speakers. Outputs: tape and L+R. High level inputs: tape mon, aux, tape, tuner. Low level inputs: ph 1, ph 2, tape hd. Ground binding post. L+R gain control. AC outlets: 3 switched, 1 unswitched. Fuse.

Size 5-7/16"H, 16"W and 14-1/2"D. Weight 25 lbs. Sold from 1966-1972. Last retail price $449