How big is the sound of music?

Chris A

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9237727/How_big_is_the_sound_of_music_

David%20HP2.jpg

David Chesky, co-founder of high-fidelity digital music store HDtracks, listens to music over a vacuum-tube amplifier.

Chris

Thanks for posting the link, it's a good read.

I really like the convenience of digital audio.I acquired a Squeezebox Touch , and have stored all my CD's in a lossless format on a dedicated music laptop. Using an iPad with the Ipeng app gives me instant access to all my Cd's digitally,I really like it a lot!

I have been curious about the higher sampling rates and looked at HD Tracks to see what it's all about,but the selection wasn't my cup of tea when I looked.i may have to revisit.

I have read numerous people's opinions about not being able to hear a difference between a 256 Kbps file ,and the same file in a lossless format .For me, on my system ,there is a noticeable difference, one is fuller, the other is thinnish sounding. I don't think I have exceptional ears so it always surprises me when i hear that statement.....In my opinion anyway. However,,,,I am still encountering some really nasty sounding Cd's that sound about the same in either format, It's good to know that people are working on upping the quality of the digital realm.

Mark