I want to stain my veneer on new Forte speakers??Pls Help

bizzle2525

Hello, just ran across a new purchase that I am making on some Klipsch Forte II speakers with very nice upgrades and modifications. I am very excited and thanks to Vindeville who I sold my Cornscalas to he set me up with these and am very excited. They have some internal bracing, damping done, ALK crossover networks, and titanium tweeters. Picking these up tomorrow and I know these will be perfect for what I am looking for. Anyways...

The oiled oak look, which in my opinion is nice, does not match anything I have in my whole house. I was wondering if it is possible to sand these down with some gritty sandpaper, then smooth out with like a 200 grit. Then apply stain and a polyurethane. I was told this is possible, but I was wondering if anyone has tried staining veneer and what it takes to get through the oil layer to get to the veneer, if there is a product or if I should just sand? I knowsome people will say this kills resale value or whatever but I do not plan on parting with these for years to come, so just making them work for me. Any help or instruction would be greatly appreciate, thanks

I bought a pair that had what you describe done. I don't recommend doing it. Think of a way to disguise them if you need to. Maybe you can elaborate on what you mean by "matching" what else you have. It is of course personal preference but to me quality wood with a nice finish will mix and match with most anything. For example my oiled oak forte IIs look just fine next to our lacquer cherry furniture. Contrast works as well or better than uniformity.

I do hear what your saying, and I knew that people would tell me not to do it. But I am looking for others who have done something like this, maybe a chemical stripper first to remove the oil finish, then a light sand?? My furniture is mostly espresso lacquer type finish. Thanks for any future suggestions.