Front Speaker Aiming

ColaBear

I have experimented with this in the past, but wanted to know what the 2-channel crowd thinks. I have my KLF30s about 8 feet apart and aimed straight out. My listening position is @ 13 feet from the front of the speakers. I also use these for Home Theatre about 75% of the time. I have noticed my sound stage seems to image better with this current set-up. But, is there an advantage to having the horns aimed directly at my listening area "sweet spot"?

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KSP-S6 rear center

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Cola.....I too prefer my horns toed in. At thirteen feet you wouldn't have to toe them in very much. Obviously the farther you have the two speakers spread apart the more you'll have to toe them in. I have my Epic's 8 feet apart and my listening position is just over 9 feet, therefore I have a little more toe in than I would need if say I was 13-15 feet away. I have them toed in approximetly four inches, six inches from the inside corner to the wall and 10 inches from the outside corner to the wall. I do have to agree with Mdeneen, this is all personal preference......so if you like the way it sounds currently there's no need to change it.....

I agree that whatever sounds best to you should be the final determining factor.

On the other hand, there are two reasons why toe in might be the first choice.

First, most speakers are designed so that the response is most flat on axis. Even constant directivity horns have some frequency response problems off axis.

Second, the radiation off axis, particulary at the very side, is attenuated. This is good to keep the sound from being reflected off the side walls of the room. Toe in will probably help direct the sound away from the side walls.

Gil

It was suggested to me that I do not toe-in my Forte IIs. I tried it and I prefer the smoother overall sound at the sweet spot. My speakers are not near corners. It's all personal preference. Try some critical listening with different positions and see what you prefer.

One thing that toeing in the speakers can provide is to broaden the sweet spot.

Theory: toe in the speakers such that the on-axis line crosses IN FRONT of the listening position. Normally, as you move to the left of center, the apparent center of the image moves to the left, 'cause you're closer to the left speaker and it's louder. However, with the axis crossing in front of the listening position, as you move to the left you move further OFF AXIS of the left speaker and further ON AXIS with the right speaker, thus somewhat offsetting the differences in volumes due to proximity.