SC-1's as Mains?

Justesen

Some people might use a surround speaker as a main as a way to save money (so they don't have to buy a center), but in most cases, they are probably sacrificing some quality in doing so. In your case, I assume that you already have one SC1 and would have to buy another. There would be a similar sacrifice in quality in using two centers for mains, and if you need to spend money to do it, is it really worth it? My guess is that your money would be better spent in buying true mains.

Thanks. Not being technically oriented I'm still kind of confused... when I look at the specs for the speakers, they seem similar. What exactly is the difference? That is, what makes a main a main? Is it the enclosure? (SC-1 is enclosed, the SB-2, for example, is rear ported). Just trying to get a handle on it.

If the system is a home theatre, ideally you'd want all the speakers to be the same for perfect timbre matching. I've heard of people using center speakers all round and had pleasing results. Five SC-1's with a good sub would make a nice home theatre.

For only two channel, I'm not sure how well two SC-1's will perform. There is one member of this forum who used two RC-7's as mains and I remember reading that he was quite impressed with them. But then again, the RC-7 is a different caliber of speaker.

I guess the only reason you might not want to use SC-1's as mains is the price. Two SC-1's cost more than SF-1's. Ask your dealer if you can compare the SC-1's and SF-1's in a stereo setup. Then get what sounds best to you.

One other thing, if you stand the SC-1's up on their side, you might need to turn the horn tweeter 90 degrees in order for the sound to disperse properly.