Tubes vs SS?

mcp

I do require bass grunt, but I am also looking for less agressive and grainfree highs...I want it all! Kidding aside, I listen to a bit of everything and, to me, a good tube amp is tough to beat if it has the ability to drive the speakers at hand. I'm thinking Forte I's or Chorus I's as they are probably the best option in mmy 17 x 13 x 7.5 living room...

A guy down the road just got a Rogue Stereo 90 to use with his CWs and it sounds very nice in triode mode, with plenty of bottom end (to my ears, in ultralinear it's very aggressive and SS sounding.) It won't touch properly designed SETs or SEPs in terms of high end smoothness, but if you need that kind of power it seems to be a nice compromise particularly if you eliminate the preamp and use a passive line stage with it. His typical listening level is 105-110 db at his chair which is 12 feet from the speakers- listening room is about 12 feet wide and 30 feet long with the speakers about 6 feet in from the back wall.

If he listens long at those levels, he will lose his hearing shortly and then I can buy his amp and speakers...seriously, thanks for the info. I once owned a Rogue Cronus and it was a very nice integrated indeed.

If someone in your area has a pair of VRD monoblocks that you could audition I would go that route. They provide the bass grunt you are looking for, as well as a magical midrange.

Mike

Thanks, I will do some research on these...

If someone in your area has a pair of VRD monoblocks that you could audition I would go that route. They provide the bass grunt you are looking for, as well as a magical midrange.

Mike

Thanks, I will do some research on these...

http://nosvalves.com/vrd.htm

Search this Forum on VRD and you will get a number of hits!

Mike