Heresy autoformer settings

biglaz

one of many threads on this topic you can also check out the archives. Hope this is of iterest. You could also consider bracing the cabinet damping the horns and the drivers including the woofer and then damping the cabinets this results is a substantial increase in the speakers bass output at which point the mid sounds fine and you have more clean output and the speaker make some bass. This is what I did with my Heresy 3. I am more than pleased with the results. Best regards Moray James.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/172853.aspx

Type E is -9dB on tap 2 (mid), -6dB on tap 3 (tweeter).

Heresy II is -10dB on the mid, and has a different tweeter (not run through the autoformer).

Unless you have the Heresy on the floor or in the corner, I suggest using -12dB on tap1 (mid), -9dB on tap 2 (tweeter), and add a 15Ω resistor in parallel with the mid driver (to keep the crossover point correct).

The mids (K55, K53, etc) are about 107dB/2.83V/1M, the K22 woofer is about 95dB, so the stock settings are about 3dB 'hot'.

The room placement affects the output of the woofer, moving it into the corner (or on the floor against the back wall), increases the level and thus requires a stock setting. By using the resistor method it is possible to adjust the levels without having to buy different values for the crossover caps.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/wirewound-25-watt/15-ohm-25-watt-wirewound-resistor/

A pair of 15Ω/25W will set you back about $1.30 (plus shipping), you can spend a lot more if you like ($30 for Mundorf), but I think you are way beyond the point of diminishing returns there. You may want to try some new caps as well, film types start as low as $1.40 (for a set of four 2µF), and the sky is the limit from there.

When you say add a 15ohm resistor in parallel with the mid, does that mean in the + line or in the - line? I am a crossover dummy.

I put a 16 ohm resistor across the mid terminals and I am using tap 1 for the mid and tap 2 for the tweeter. So do I have the resistor attached wrong?

Thanks to you and Moray for your help