How mad are my neighbors going to be? (New RF-7 II System)

KlipschJim

Those speakers look awesome, nothing like brand new gear! I can smell them from here! Yes like Youth said, best to use the Marantz crossover and set the sub all the way so you don't lose any sound. Too bad forums aren't like Facebook, I catch myself wanting to "like" people's pics lol.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you set a crossover in your receiver to a certain Hz (ex. 80Hz, turn the xover on your sub all the way up (ex. 120hz) because if you set your xover on the sub at 80hz and in your receiver at 80hz, any LFE that is routed to the sub that is between 80Hz - 120Hz will not be heard.

Great input. Not sure how to get to the crossover on the receiver but I have turned up the setting on the sub to the highest setting.

Those speakers look awesome, nothing like brand new gear! I can smell them from here! Yes like Youth said, best to use the Marantz crossover and set the sub all the way so you don't lose any sound. Too bad forums aren't like Facebook, I catch myself wanting to "like" people's pics lol.

Thanks!. I am pretty happy so far. Still need to do some stuff and definitely need to get a good universal remote. All these remotes are killing me!

Not sure how to get to the crossover on the receiver but I have turned up the setting on the sub to the highest setting.

Take a look at page 131 - 134 of your owner's manual.

I will be pulling that out very soon. I just finished the Audyssey setup but will be sure to give that whole manual a read. As for remotes, I am debating between Harmony and URC.

• Moderators

I just finished the Audyssey setup but will be sure to give that whole manual a read.

Audyssey will likely do a great job at setting everything for you. Use an SPL meter to make sure it adjusted the speakers to the same level. You may not have to adjust the xover at all.

As for remotes, I am debating between Harmony and URC.

The Harmony One is the only universal remote I've owned so I cannot speak for URC. There are a few on here that would totally recommend them over the harmony. I have have had absolutely no complaints whatsoever with the Harmony One. Works great for my application.

It's not just efficiency only. The RF-7 II is officially rated 8 ohms compatible. However, it has an impedance dip that could stress out your amp. At low impedance, the speakers will demand a higher current that a lot of integrated AVR's could not safely handle at high volumes. At worst case scenario, your AVR will shutdown or even burn out, possibly blowing your speakers in the process.

Since it seems you know what you are talking about. Here is a question for you I am running RF52 and plan on upgrading to 82s in a year or two. My buddy is recomenting me to go with http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-AV7701-Processor-Networking-AirPlay/dp/B0092MMXIE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1L99N9TZCDOUI&coliid=I21VD1NB03MAX6.. What is your opinion? Is this good enough, over kill, and or will I be able to use this when I upgrade? This does have 5 ch XLR so I am able to hook up amp in the future. I want to have all bases covered so that I wont have to upgrade my amp till way in the future. Whats your opinion? Or anybody else that can help?

I have a Marantz SR7007 (as some of you with a little bit of detective work figured out). Because of the sensitivity of the speakers, I didn't see the need to add an additional amp at this time. With my relatively small living room, I am pretty confident that my receiver will more than do the job for now.

How is this working out for you so far? Have you played it at loud volumes?

The AV7701 is a pre-amp. You will need a separate amp since it doesn't have an integrated amp in it. You can buy a competitively priced amp like Emotiva to hook it up and it can pretty much handle anything you throw at it.

What I talked about was high-volume, reference level scenario, where the speakers demand a higher current than the integrated amp can safely provide (distortion!). This is specially the case when you are driving 7 or more speakers at the same time. If you are doing 5.1 in a small to medium room, a good AVR should suffice.