Marantz Receiver

fuzzydog

I just added a RC-64 II to my 2 channel RF-7 II setup powered by a Marantz NR-1402 receiver. I've enjoyed the receiver until I added the center channel.

The receiver is constantly changing the surround settings depending on the program material. I.E, one tv station will play only in stereo while another will use all 3 channels. It will even change modes when going to commercial.

Anyone know how to defeat this? Or is it common for modern receivers to change mode depending on the material? I've always thought that the center channel just received a combination of the left and right channel signals.

Thanks in advance!

Going along with what reference said, if you really want the center to play, there are usually options in the receiver where you can force stereo to play in 5.1 and it will extend the audio to all the speakers. It's usually just recommended though to just leave it. Having your left and right audio extended to the center can do more harm than good because it will degrade the imaging and likely won't sound as natural.

The center channel has its own mixed channel in 5.1. When it goes to stereo your center turns off. and just the right and left are active. I recommend setting your avr to dolbyllx. That way when its 5.1 it will mix everything as 5.1 (normal) and if it switches to something less like stereo it will keep everything involved.