Re: Multi-tasking Amp

J.L.

Hello.... I got kinda sidetracked with my previous thread, so I thought I'd start a new one... (Previous one was Klipsch KG 5.5 Date Of Birth , also in Technical Questions heading)

I have recently purchased an older pair of KG 5.5's and am using them with an old Onkyo TX-866 stereo receiver. I love the sound, but the receiver is an 80 watts per side receiver and I would like more power. I also play a little acoustic guitar and have a portable PA system and would also like to increase the power with that set-up as well. What I'm wondering and asking everyone is, could I use a PA amp such as the one I'll put in a link below to use on either set-up?? Or would I be disappointed with the sound of it hooked up to my KG 5.5's??
The receiver does have the capability to be hooked to the PA amp via a "PRE OUT" RCA type connection....

Here's a link to the PA amp... and thanks for any help....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/crown-xls1500-drivecore-series-power-amp

Boy..... gotta tell ya..... I just picked up a cheap Sony DVD player at Walmart and hooked it into my Onkyo receiver just for playing CD's on....
put in a favorite CD by Brandi Carlile and I couldn't believe my ears!!!!.... only have been listeing to the FM radio on the receiver untill today and was turning the volume up just a hair past the 9 o'clock position which was a decent listening level, then hooked up the DVD and put in the CD and had to turn it back to around the 8 o'clock position!!!!!.... it was just so loud and CLEAR!!!!!!.... I think I was hearing parts of her music I've never heard on my main system, which is thru a pair of old Yamaha NS-500M's......
I'm wondering how much I would gain by adding a separate amp..... I mean, maybe the 80 watts per channel the Onkyo is putting out is all I need..... especially given the fact that the KG 5.5's have the 98db sensitivity..... what a beautiful sound....