Dynaco Preamps

dougdrake

SP3.gif

The AVA Modified PAS 3

Dynaco made neat little preamps that several companies also modified ie Audio By Van Alstine (AVA) as seen above. Many have gone that route and a few have them here. Warm tube sound with good soundstaging. The Audio By Van Alstine PAS preamps have gotten some good comments from users.

The Adcom 565 is an ok preamp that did get some good reviews. I had one in house for three months long ago. This unit is a lot better than the 555 pre.

I think the preamp is one of the most important pieces in your system in that it deals with low level signals and can start you off in a hole very easily. The PAS preamps are fine little units but in my mind, there are far better tube preamps out there right now, although the PAS is one of the cheapest tube alternatives. Certainly, the upgrades given by AVA have made this old classic better still. Yet, I would opt for a solution a bit higher up the chain and the model you are looking thinking about is stock from all appearances.

The Adcom 565, although nice for the price used, is not really up to the levels I think you can achieve these days. It has no glaring errors really but definitely needs to be wired in the bypass mode that leaves out the tone controls along with some switching. For those of your here that believe tone controls do not harm the circuit, this preamp (which has two completely different paths selectable with the outs at back), will illustrate just how much those tone controls can hurt transparency and detail.

Still, there are other options out there that are less dry sounding with less haze(not a fogbound haze as much as a slight "there" to the background that is revealed if comparing with better gear). It's an ok preamp but basically there are far better choices out there.

Are you going to go with phono?

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-29-2002 at 07:46 AM

mh - thanks for taking the time to reply. I figured it would be you, if anyone, that did!

I guess I'm in the "curious" stage about toobs et al. All my stuff is SS, and the Denon 3300 receiver's pre-amp is a little noisy. I saw these and thought, hmmm, maybe that will quiet it down a bit, but I'd still be running CD's through it. I have a TT (old Beogram), but my vinyl is not in pristine condition, and I'm afraid I don't have the ear for listening past the snap/crackle/pop Smile.gif

I believe I ought to craft out a plan of acquisition if I decide to go with tubes, deciding which pieces in which order, and then going on the hunt for them, rather than haphazardly picking up whatever comes along.

But if anyone is interested in these units, I'll pass on his phone number -- no connection to me.

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug, MH is one very helpful gentleman, for sure. He's contributed to this board far beyond the words. One thing you can always count on is a complete and intelligent answer.

I've been down the tube road a little bit in the last year. I've had/have Anthems, McIntosh 240's, McIntosh 30, Eico HF-81, and Cary SuperAmp. All are different in feel and sound.

With the horn-driven Heritage line, the Denon sounds pretty good and we'll be stuck with HT processors for DTS and 5.1 etc. I'm driving a pair of Anthem tube amps off of the Denon pre-amp out connections. The result is nice.

For two channel, I'm still in pursuit of the Holy Grail for my Klipschorns. They are SO revealing that if I connect an overwhelming amp up to them (e.g., SuperAmp), the music will drill a hole in your forehead (quoting Mobile). I love the Eico HF-81; it's the most musical amp I've ever owned -- and cool and retro looking too.

I'm pretty close to moving forward with a pair of Moondogs; the output (3.5W) is plenty, and they're a favorite amongst a few on this board. Hopefully I'll get to hear Edster's pair in Atlanta sometime late this summer.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 06-30-2002 at 05:01 AM

I've an AVA Super PAS4i that I've benn very happy with. Paid about 750.00 for it new from Frank. He is now offering a new line that concludes with the Transcendence 7 for a lot more bucks. Not sure what that would get you, but AVA is well workh looking in to if you are considereing "new" vintage equipment based on the Dynaco heritage.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

Probably should have pointed out that my Dynaco interest was based on having owned a Dyna SCA-35 integrated many years ago, as well as an ST-70 power amp, which I still have. I ran my K'horns with a friends SCA-35 just a couple of weeks ago and was very happy with the sound.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless