Velo SPL1200 Or EarthQuake Super Nova MKIV-12

Mozvz

In the market for a sub and these two choices seem to hit the sweet spot in the $1000 price range.

Room size is 16 X 20, Music/HT - 60/40. Size is important due to space limitations and placement. Thoughts would be appreciated on these two selections or any other suggestions that I've not considered. SVS is not appropriate at the moment.

Thanks are always in advance.

Cheers,

Charles

Music 60% of the time huh,then the choice is easy! The Velodyne SPL1200 should find its place in your HT.

I had a SPL1200 and found it to be quite "muiscal" and speedy sub.As well as capable of providing the slam and deep bass needed for over boosted to please the HT crowd movies.

In Hollywood when a door closes the sub almost bottoms out,and when Arnold farts the seismic wave rips even the sturdiest cone from the chassis!Viva the realism

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

In Hollywood when a door closes the sub almost bottoms out,and when Arnold farts the seismic wave rips even the sturdiest cone from the chassis!Viva the realism

You are to cool Ears. Smile.gif

I am curious about this Earthquake line of subs. I am sure you have heard this thing. A friend of mine is also thinking of upgrading his sub too and does like a 70-30 HT/Music and he turned me on to this Earthquake line. He is thinking of buying one for his HT.

How would you describe this MKIV-12 product??

As always, your thoughts are appreciated. The Velo will be ordered on Monday for me. Now my friend is another story.

I heard(well tested)the 15" version,its very powerful,hits as hard as any cube you can buy.I would even say its the most powerful cube sub you can buy under $2000.

On music it was lacking unless like the Sunfire subs you cut it low(60Hz and below).

Quality very good,the Magma drivers are built to last and take a beating.The cabinet was very solid.The only thing that irritated me was the bolt earthquake uses in the middle of one of the drivers(cant remember if it was the woofer or the radiator).Looks strange(I think it was the weight loaded radiator).

For HT the Earthquake is a winner,for musice you must cut it very low.If cut low it works great.

With the 12" version you should lose 5-6dB in output.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-29-2002 at 08:46 PM

Ears.. As always, THANK YOU for your expertise, invaluable feedback and information.

I shall pass on your words to my friend and let him decide what is best for him. I am even considering the Earthquake now because I'll be able to "cut it low" as you describe.

Either way, after reading and digesting your input, the Vel and the Earthquake both appear to be high quality products and great choices in the price range we are considering.

Good words are spreading in the "States" about "The Ears." Smile.gif

Thanks again,

Charles

quote:

At least I wont have to hide in my underground shelter

Well, if it was necessary to flush you from your shelter, instead of using hand grenades, we could throw Bose Cubes in the hole.

That would get your outta there real quick. Smile.gif A fate worse then ??????? Smile.gif

Ears..

I gotta ask this question.

How would you compare the Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature to the Earthquake MKIV-12? I am still apprehensive about the Earthquake for some reason. Will the Sunfire be a better sub for music and across the board in all applications?

Also if you please, is the Sunfire's True Subwoofer Architectural Signature a decent choice?

I only post the link below because I want to be on the same page as you. You can recite this stuff in your sleep. Sometimes I feel like I am asleep in this realm. Learning.. Learning... Smile.gif

http://www.sunfire.com/products/subsignature.shtml

• 2 months later...

Sorry I missed this Sunfire Earthquake thing

The Architectural Signature is a more powerful Carver Knight Shadow,add 3-5dB to the output of the KS.It will play a bit deeper.Not worth the money in my view

The Sunfire Signature is worth the green,powerful when needed,goes deep and if you ever get two your house may not survive. Smile.gif

h2xmark,

Sorry never heard the Millennium 15,cant say much about it.Sound like its a true performer,must hear one soon then.Earthquake makes awesome movie subs(ehard the 12 and 15" Super Nova subs),on music they were less great.

Finished with Saving Private Ryan,the beach scene is as bloody and gory as it gets,you feel sorry for the sldiers sent to the massacre.And the last battle in the town is a emotional roller coaster,when the German tanks roll the floor shook with subhuman force,quite impressive.A great movie I can see why HT fanatics love Klipsch so much!My RF-7's are wonderful to convey the full power of well done war movies,dynamics and all. Smile.gif

Oh yes the subs,well try to audition the Sunfire Signature and the Millennium 15.Side by side

TheEAR(s) Now theears