Klipsch F-20 -- C-20 -- SW-350 Setup Help

I have absolutely no experience setting up a home theater so I am looking for some guidance. As the title says, I have (2) Klipsch F-20's, (1) Klipsch C-20, and (1) Klipsch SW-350.

I'm just not sure how to set them up in my receiver. I just got the C-20 today, but prior to that, I had the F-20's set at full-band and then the sub

My receiver is an Onkyo HT-R360

I guess my questions would be the following

F-20

- What Hz to set to?

- LF or HF?

C-20

- What Hz to set to?

- LF or HF

SW-350

- What Hz to set to?

- What phase? 0 or 180?

Thanks for any help

The F-20's and C-20 will have the 2 pair of binding posts connected with a jumper.

Set your AVR to crossover at 80Hz.

Set the subwoofer crossover to Off or to the max setting. Set the phase to 0 if on the same wall as the F-20's.

These are just preliminary settings. You can play with them until your system sounds good to you.

The F-20's and C-20 will have the 2 pair of binding posts connected with a jumper.

Set your AVR to crossover at 80Hz.

Set the subwoofer crossover to Off or to the max setting. Set the phase to 0 if on the same wall as the F-20's.

These are just preliminary settings. You can play with them until your system sounds good to you.

So set both the F-20's and C-20 at 80 Hz?

The subwoofer has a low of 40 and high of 150. I'm guessing off would be bypass which is past the 150 mark.

You can set the Hz or crossover frequency (XO) individually, but there is not a major benefit in setting the C-20 or F-20 to a different 80 Hz XO. Yes, turn the subwoofer all the way up to 140 Hz. Congratulations on the new system and it is time to let the music play![:)]

Stick around and you will learn a lot.[;)]

You have can set the Hz or crossover frequency (XO) individually, but there is not a major benefit in setting the C-20 or F-20 to a different 80 Hz XO. Yes, turn the subwoofer all the way up to 140 Hz. Congratulations on the new system and it is time to let the music play!Smile

Stick aroundThat and you will learn a lot.Wink

Definitely will stick around. I have had the F-20's and SW-350 for a couple years but don't know if I ever had it set up right. Got the c-20 today and decided to do some research. Didn't sound right when I first hooked it up. I currently have the F-20's and c-20 set at 80 Hz and the sub at 150 Hz, not 140. Sound about right? Also, I have the sub came plugged into the lfe/left (white) port, not the right (red) port. That sound right? Anything else I need to know?

"Stick around and you will learn a lot.Wink"

+100

I'm not a guru and had trouble to set up my new sub, but took few advices from Derrik and very happy with my sound now.

I got pair of F-3 and RC-62II which set as Large (I know, I know...but I've tried Small and really didn't like sound), their channel level set at -4.

my SRS SS-1 set as Small and crossed at 80Hz.

sub set to Plus, sub X-over off (I got the switch), sub gain at +4 and sub channel level in receviers menu at -3.

try to run receivers EQ, it should be a good starting point.

try to run your front as Large, might help with mid range bass.

+100

I'm not a guru and had trouble to set up my new sub, but took few advices from Derek and very happy with my sound now.

I got pair of F-3 and RC-62II which set as Large (I know, I know...but I've tried Small and really didn't like sound), their channel level set at -4.

sub set to Plus, sub X-over off (I got the switch), sub gain at +4 and sub channel level in receviers menu at -3.

Not sure what you mean by setting small and large. I'm guessing my AVR isn't as robust as yours.

+100

I'm not a guru and had trouble to set up my new sub, but took few advices from Derek and very happy with my sound now.

Not sure what you mean by setting small and large. I'm guessing my AVR isn't as robust as yours.

I'm talking about speakers set up in receiver's menu, it should have two settings: Large and Small.

"Front – Select LARGE if your front
speakers reproduce bass frequencies
effectively, or if you didn’t connect a
subwoofer. Select SMALL to send the bass
frequencies to the subwoofer."

"Center – Select LARGE if your center
speaker reproduces bass frequencies
effectively, or select SMALL to send bass
frequencies to the other speakers or
subwoofer. If you didn’t connect a center
speaker, choose NO (the center channel is
sent to the other speakers)."

don't know what to say.

I've been messing with my sub for a week till I set everything properly and suitable for my ears.

what is the gaing on your sub amp? 50%?

try to set it at 20-25% and run calibration again. maybe mic is faulty?

how about new receiver? I believe you can get pretty nice 5.1 pioneer/denon for $250-275.

or check CL. my buddy selling his 6.1 yamaha for $120, pretty sure you can find similar deals in your area.

Yes, you want the sub plugged into the LFE/LEFT. This is your sub channel.

Your sub is running too hot for room correction software. Turn it down until it can be calibrated by the software.

Up until yesterday, I always had it plugged into the other port... oh well. I got the calibration to work, but it didn't sound good at all. it turned the volume level down on all the speakers (between -6db and -7db) as well as changing the floor speakers to 40hz and the center to 70hz. When I tried listening to music through it, it didn't sound good... cracked a bit.

Changed it back to 80/80 and all is well.

Yes, you want the sub plugged into the LFE/LEFT. This is your sub channel.

Your sub is running too hot for room correction software. Turn it down until it can be calibrated by the software.

Up until yesterday, I always had it plugged into the other port... oh well. I got the calibration to work, but it didn't sound good at all. it turned the volume level down on all the speakers (between -6db and -7db) as well as changing the floor speakers to 40hz and the center to 70hz. When I tried listening to music through it, it didn't sound good... cracked a bit.

Changed it back to 80/80 and all is well.

Certainly nothing wrong with experimenting with different settings. The trick is to get your system sounding good to you.

It is not unusual to have to turn the sub down. Leave the other speaker alone and accept the channel levels from autocalibration. Cutting the speaker 6-7 db is a lot. Read the guide on bass management: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817 Tell us what is wrong with the sound, no bass, HF to bright, ect.

I am not surprised it did not soud good with the speakers cut 6-7 db. Mongo is correct, the sub gain is to high when autocalibration does not accept it. I never turned the gain past 9-10 O'clock with my SW 450. Run autocalibration and accept the speaker levels with the sub turned down a bit. Then tell us what is wrong with the sound, to bright, no bass, funny S sounds, ect. Good luck. Sorry for a double post the above post did not show up right away. Internet is misbehaving.

try to set your speakers manually withing -3-2 range and set sub to -2-1 and sub gain to 30%.

what kind flooring you got, carpet, wood? carpet absorbs alot of low bass, see if you can put ceramic tile or slab under the sub. I raised my sub of the carpet and bass is a bit tighter now. my F-3 also sitting on the tiles.