Toshiba SD 4700 Help

Moit

New to the world of DVD (more of an audiofile). I recently purchased a Toshiba DVD player SD 4700. Current hook-up is RCA jack L&R to the VDP input of my Harmon Kardon ARV 25II. I have the video RCA running directly to my 36" RCA TV (Nothing special just a regular old TV). I have the TV shape set as 4:3 Normal, and I am still getting the masking bars as if I were still in 4:3 Letterbox. I do not want the masking bars. Have I got everything in place? The only way I could get the DVD player in the house was with a copy of Last Of The Mohicans (WAF). Is it possible this is the only way this DVD will Play? Like I said, new to the DVD era, and any help would be much appreciated. If I don't get this fixed, or at least have a good answer soon the WAF rating will bottom out.

Moit

Moit- If the movie is widescreen,and the tv is standard 4:3, you will have the bars.

Try this-go into the DVD setup and set the screen shape to 16:9,even though you do not have one. What this will do is, if the DVD is Anamorphic Widescreen, the picture will be stretched to fill most of tv screen.

Keep in mind it won't on all dvd's,just anamorphic, or discs that read "enhanced for widescreen tvs"

Also look at the aspect ratio on DVD itself. If anamorphic and has ratio of 1.85:1, it will fill the screen entirely. If anamorphic and has ratio of 2.35:1 it will stretch the picture but still leave smaller bars on screen.

If they are not anamorphic,there is no way to get rid of the masking bars.

Hope this helps

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KLF 30

Rears: KG 5.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985