I need to

rowooo

I need to hear some Belles, LaScalas, or Cornwalls. I'm totally happy with my system now I just am dying to hear some of these heritage models. So if anyone out there lives near Omaha or Lincoln please let me know, so I can hear for myself what all this fuss is about. Sometimes I think I'm the only guy from Nebraska on this board.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

That's because you ARE the only loon from Nebraska on this board!

The problem for you is when you do get those vintage Klipsch Heritage in your system, you will have to unload that ADCOM gear on ebay! Having owned a bevy of ADCOM in the 80s-90s as backup, I can tell you that it will not bring the best from ye olde Klipsch horns.

BTW, which Transparent cable do you have? I have a full set of Transparent MusicWave/MusicLink Plus wire (works best if you outfit the entire system) but it is not a great match with low power Single-Ended Triodes on the whole. Does much better with solid state or PP tubes.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

rowooo,

Like you, I owned a pair of Epic CF-2's, which I bought new in 1995. I really liked them a lot and had them for 6 years. I have since purchased Chorus I's, Chorus II's and La Scala's (in that order), and sold my CF-2's to my sister.

I felt the Chorus's were a little more dynamic and hit a lot harder in the mid bass region, where the CF-2's provided a little better imaging and soundstage. I have since sold the Chorus II's to jhawk92, which allowed me to buy the La Scala's.

After hearing the La Scala's with some 3.5w tube monoblocks, there is no comparison between the Chorus's and the La Scala's (or the CF-2's for that matter). A lot more dynamic than either, with a much more lifelike sound to them. More separation between the instruments and vocals. They have a presence which is hard to ignore. The mids and highs just sing effortlessly. I think you will hear things you have never heard on your albums and CD's before. Little things like fingers passing over the frets of a guitar. Of course, the other side to that is hearing how bad some really poor recorded CD's are.

I strongly urge you to hear a pair of horn-loaded speakers. I think you will find there is nothing quite like them. Bear in mind this is strictly my opinion and is entirely objective. Others may differ with me here...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hey rowooo!!

You WEREN'T the only dude on this board from Nebraska, until I moved to Alabama. I never did get a fully horn-loaded speaker into my system, so I wouldn't have been much help anyway. I heard the Aerial Acoustics at The Sound Environment and fell in love with the laid-back sound. I only got as far as the RF-3's before I went the way of the cone.

I still want to hear more horns, but I don't have the room for an all-horns setup. And, yes, I've considered a compromise like the Cornwall's or the Forte's, but I could hear the differences between the cones in my RF-3's and and their tweeter horns, and they annoyed me. Maybe when I own my own place and can outfit a room around a pair of Khorns or include horn subs....

If you're curious, here's my current fix: Aerial Acoustics 7b's, VTL IT-85 (to be supplemented by an ST-85), Perpetual Technologies P-3A/P-1A combo, and Theta Jade transport.

If you're not bothered by the horn/cone combination, go for some Cornwalls. Or try out some LaScalas... I'm not advising from experience; I'm just resolving my regrets vicariously. If you don't dig the speakers, you know you can get back what you paid (e-bay, audiogon, etc.). Good luck!

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

I heard several pairs of Aerial Acoustics including the 10T and 7B mated with Mark Levinson and Proceed amplification. I have to admit, these speakers sounded very, very nice. Didnt get a chance to hear them on tubes but the "audiophile" thing was going strong with these pairs. Not exactly inexpensive by any means, however. I wonder how musical they are as I have come to find a widening gap between "audiophile" goals and musicality.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

PB - I wonder if, since you were listening to a 2-way setup with the RF-3s, you would like the 3-way setup of the Forte/Chorus/Cornwall better, where you've got the horn mids and tweets, which would sound more similar than a cone handling a good portion of the mids and handing off to a horn at around 2khz....

Doug

------------------

My System

Mobile....there you go again bashing my Adcom gear and calling me a Loon! Ha,Ha...I have the Music Link plus interconnects, but I'm not using Transparent speaker wire. I tried two levels of Transparent speaker wire and I just couldn't justify the cost. I think I had the MusicWave Plus wires and the only difference I heard was a slight decrease in background noise, a blacker background. They also seemed to somehow create an enhanced(False) bass response. It just didn't sound right. But the interconnects are just awesome. Best upgrade I've made. As to the Heritage speakers.....I'm not saying I'm ready to change speakers, as I love my 2 way Epics, I just would like to hear some of these different models. Looks like I'll have to move down to Florida. As fast as Mike is changing speakers I would get a chance to listen to the whole Klipsch line in just under a year or so. Just joking Mike...Can't wait to hear your findings on your new LaScalas when there all done and set up.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

mh: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "musicality", but I think I know: a coherence between the pace of the music, transient response, tonal accuracy and dynamics? I suspect that your concern speaks to the low efficiency rating of the speakers. I shared the same concern, since the speed of a system seems to be so important to what I described above as musicality. I just got the speakers recently, so I'm still becoming acquainted with all their nuances, and they're still breaking in. They're definitely not as fast as those horn tweeters, but I really enjoy the more relaxed presentation. My hope is that the added power of the ST-85 will resolve most speed deficiencies that may become apparent. Or maybe when I own the world I can throw in some Wotans or similarly powerful amps....

Doug: I was in the market for Fortes and Choruses for several months, but I never got to purchase. I was sniped out of a few auctions and I got picky.

I'll check out horns again when I can do it right. For now, rowooo should take the step and report.

Peace!

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....